CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #41
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Opinions on my girlfriends lack of results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
I should also add that I'm almost through my 3rd month of CF and only now starting to see actual weight loss. It's very slow, not very steady, but losing a lot of inches is better than losing the weight anyway.
Ding ding ding. Thank you.

Forget about "losing weight."

Put in the work. Diet well. Recover well.

Lose fat. Gain muscle. Increase performance. Be more physically able.

If your body responds long-term by losing weight, that's great.

If your body responds long-term by gaining weight, that's great too.

Either way, you have become healthier, more fit, and more able to deal with whatever the heck life may throw at you next. That's why we do this sh*t. To live better.

- Mark
Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #42
Ian Strand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Well. I did CF for about 2 weeks and saw ZERO changes to weight or size (though I was getting stronger).
You were 2 weeks in, and you expected to see *noticeable* changes in body composition? While I feel better eating smaller meals more frequently, I'd also tend to believe that the changes in weight and size you experienced are probably from the addition of crossfit, rather than the increased frequency of eating.

I personally think that unless you are trying to shave 0.5% bodyfat when you're already at 5% - a la bodybuilding -, and such changes will actually make a difference, meal frequency is not going to make or break your weight loss unless total calorie consumption / expenditure changes as a result (binge eating, not having energy for intensity during exercise etc.).

Last edited by Ian Strand : 09-17-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: tried to be a bit more helpful
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #43
Jesse Gray

Profile:

To the OP, I've worked as a Crossfit trainer and a trainer on the evil side as well and whatever you do, DO NOT throw out the scale. Regardless of what weight means to a Crossfitter, weight has a huge impact on the psyche of a woman trying to lose weight who is not part of our cult. Now, with her diet and activity level combined with what I know of her personal history (she has always had some weight issues?) I can come to only one conclusion, she is cheating. I see this over and over again and clients will swear to their grave that they're not but then I look at their face book page and in every picture they have a cocktail or some starbucks whipped cream creation in hand. If you truly do the zone diet accurately for two weeks, there is no way you can not lose weight if you're over weight. No way.
Now, to start out, I always recommend you go with the most accurate method of the zone possible. This will require you to get a body composition test. It will also give you the best idea of how much food you actually need to put into your body to "support lean gains but not fat". Once you've done this for a month, THEN you can start trying to wing it. The other way around doesn't work so well. So got get your body fat tested and go strirct zone for one month, you can do it together, it will be miserable and make two rules, 1. if either of you cheats, just say so and the other promises not to get mad or harbor resentment and 2. the only thing you will drink is water, coffee or unsweetened tea (it's just too easy to consume liquid food).
Do this and you will have success.
And if not? Have a pint and try again with the aussie jenny craig!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #44
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Caleb, which box are you guys training out of? I'm also from Sydney, I train at CF Norwest. Have you spoken to your coach about the nuturition?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #45
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
To the OP, I've worked as a Crossfit trainer and a trainer on the evil side as well and whatever you do, DO NOT throw out the scale. Regardless of what weight means to a Crossfitter, weight has a huge impact on the psyche of a woman trying to lose weight who is not part of our cult.
Bodyweight does indeed have a big impact on the psyche of both men and women, which is just one of the reasons to ditch the scale. Free yourself from being the victim of a tool that has no ability at all to tell you how your body composition is changing.

If I were bodyweight-focused:
  • ... and gained a pound of muscle today (and lost no fat), the scale would tell me only that I had gained a pound. I would be unhappy about that, having no idea that it was a pound of good muscle.
  • ... and lost a pound of muscle today, the scale would tell me only that I had lost a pound. I'd be happy about that, not knowing that it was muscle that I needed.
  • ... and lost a pound of fat and gained a pound of muscle today (a good thing), the scale would show me no change, and I'd be upset for putting in so much work for no results.
  • ...and lost three pounds today, I'd be happy about that, but I would have no clue what it was three pounds of.
Our gym has had multiple women literally cry over what their scale was telling them, even though their performance was increasing, their waistline was decreasing (i.e. clothes fit better), they felt better than they had in months, and they were getting compliments every day from family and friends. Why put yourself through that?

Is decreasing your bodyweight important? Sure. There's no doubt that carrying excess weight puts your body under undue stress. But, let the weight loss be a secondary effect to the primary goal (for most people) of losing fat and improving overall body composition and health. If you put in the work at the gym and in the kitchen, and if you should lose weight (remember: some people need to gain weight/muscle), you will.

I've lost 40 raw pounds in the last ten months, but I honestly didn't know that number until about three weeks ago, when finally someone pressured me into getting onto a scale so that I could provide a testimony to my weight loss. They were shocked that I had no idea whatsoever how much weight I had lost, and I honestly didn't even care.

Am I happy with that number? Yep, but it's a secondary joy to the fact that (1) I've lost 11"+ inches from my waist, (2) I can do a ton of stuff in the gym that I couldn't even approach ten months ago, and (3) I feel great. Oh, and I know that the 40 pound loss is really with a gain of a bunch of muscle (probably at least 10-15 pounds), so I know that I've really lost 50-55 pounds of fat. Do I know exactly how much? No, and I don't care. Every month #'s 1, 2, and 3 above improve for me, and that's all that matters. For those things to improve, I know that I'm improving my body, which is why I do this. Not only do I not need the scale to show me that improvement --- it can't show me that improvement.

Now, all that said, I admit one thing: I haven't thrown out my scale.

Why?

I need it for weighing sand for when I make sandbags.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #46
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Don't lose the scale. All that stuff is great but some people just need it.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #47
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Don't lose the scale. All that stuff is great but some people just want it.
Fixed it for you.

If you want a scale around, fine, but you don't need a scale. I struggle to imagine a person who legitimately could not survive another day without stepping on to a scale.

- Mark
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #48
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Fixed it for you.

If you want a scale around, fine, but you don't need a scale. I struggle to imagine a person who legitimately could not survive another day without stepping on to a scale.

- Mark
Dude, are you serious? I'm don't even want to get into this because I see you getting into ridiculous back and forth battles with people all the time. I know you're well meaning and I appreciate the effort you put forth but more often than not, your reach seems to exceed your grasp.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #49
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Don't personalize it, Jesse.

I'm serious. A need is different from a want.

You say that some people need a scale. I'll agree. They're the people who need to make a certain weight in order to qualify for something of value; e.g. wrestlers, boxers, military / law enforcement candidates, e.g.

If you're not in a category such that, under what health-and-fitness-related circumstances do you need a scale? Meaning, if you don't have the scale, you just can't proceed with getting healthy.

- Mark
Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #50
Karen Hayes

Profile:

First-I agree she needs to eat more often small meals/snacks. I eat every day about every 2-3 hours a little paleo something that keeps me happy.
-bacon isn't the best choice,and I agree ditch the oats in the morning.
I have been doing this for about one year, eating mostly paleo but definitely cheating once in a while (I love desserts) and I have lost about 10 pounds and totally changed my body composition. Also, I feel much better health wise. It is amazing what happens if I eat the chocolate, I feel "hung over like". Tell her to stick with it, it is NOT a quick fix, it is a lifestyle choice. If she sticks with it she will definitely see results!!!!
http://nevertooldforcrossfit.blogspot.com/