CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: Questions On Squats

If you are unexperienced with squats, as you stated in your OP, I highly doubt you have a 295x10 squat to good depth and good form - especially considering your body type and size if that is you in your avatar. I would say you are overestimating yourself and need to step back and be honest with yourself and not let your ego add weight to the bar.

The only answer as far as I'm concerned is to go buy a camera and post up a vid. Period.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
Samuel Hughes

Profile:

-I'm going to finish this first cycle and re-evaluate. If I can't get my form right, I'll be dropping weight. I only did 5 reps on the last set because I knew I was doing it wrong.

-Call me out on my muscularity if you want, but I am strong for my size and don't want to get heavier. I weigh 145 and can definitely squat at least 315 (though form is obviously questionable), DL 345 and bench 275 (both with solid form). And I can still run a very respectable half mile and have decent agility, though agility and squatting are the areas I think I am going to focus on for the next month or two.

-No chance I can afford a camera! The only reason I can go to a gym at all is that it is part of my tuition.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #33
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I've told you before, you can be even stronger (proportionately too) and faster if you filled out your frame.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #34
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post
-I'm going to finish this first cycle and re-evaluate. If I can't get my form right, I'll be dropping weight. I only did 5 reps on the last set because I knew I was doing it wrong.

-No chance I can afford a camera! The only reason I can go to a gym at all is that it is part of my tuition.
Sam,

I will be blunt and suggest that you rather not wait until completion of your cycle, but instead drop the weight now, before you chance injuring yourself. You may be strong enough to "muscle through" and/or horse the weight through the requisite series of reps you've set for your goal. With squats (and really any lift with a moderate or more amount of weight), you don't want to continue a set you know your are doing incorrectly from purposely exceeding your capability. And like I said before, no one will think you are "wimping out" by scaling back.

Also, see if a friend or relative will loan you a camera. If you are this serious about developing proper form and getting stronger, then a camera is important enough to be a priority in your training.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #35
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post

Borrow one. Every digital camera and all newer camera phones take video, and you don't need much quality or any sound for this. I guarantee you that you know someone who would let you borrow their camera for an afternoon or come to the gym with you.

Squatting is important enough to humbly ask people for this little favor.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #36
Ian Strand

Profile:

This has probably been covered already, but make sure your squats are proper depth - i.e. top of the thigh (not the hamstring) below parallel, or hip crease below the level of the knee (minimum).

I know I used to do partial squats before I read SS, and it was humbling and annoying to have to drop my BS weights wayyyy down just to get a few more inches of depth. It felt like I was starting over again.

Also, I agree with above: someone will definitely be willing to lend you a camera.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #37
Samuel Hughes

Profile:

Got a video taken on someone's blackberry... just hope he actually emails it to me. If I remember correctly it was the mid-weight set of the 3x 3x >3 day. I'll post when/if he sends it to me.