CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
Niall Somerville

Profile:
Re: Constantly being put down because i'm thin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jonathan,

I was thinking how is a grown adult not capable of handling people who pick on him and call him names? And they did offer to help train him, I'm guessing it serious offer.
I'm very capable of handling it. I give it right back. The thing is that it's none of their business what I do or how I train let alone how I look. The offer for training was merely a clever way for them to say "you're training sucks, mine is better so train with me because i'm huge (therefore I know what i'm doing)" when in actual fact they are terrible trainers and they are naturally big guys so they would be big no matter what they did.

I think most people have missed the point of this thread. Having someone tell me Crossfit sucks because i'm not massive was the point. It's typical globo gym mentality and fear of incorporating cardio and intensity into a workout because it will make you lose precious weight.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #32
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I would do strength work

Strength work = 1 or 2 lifts (push-pull, deadlift + an assitance, olympic
then powerlift, etc) for 5 or less for slow lifts and 3 or less for the quick
lifts.

3-4 times a week.

Then I would do a metcon (with a running component as you prepare for the warrior dash (make at least one of these a sprint)) that last no longer than 10 minutes 3 times a week and one longer one a week.

In no more than a month, work up to double your curretn calories. Shakes with raw eggs, olive oil shots, drenching every thing you eat with olive oil, a quart of milk after every meal and cooking everything in some sort of oil are easy ways to up the intake.
I'm so jealous of people who need to gain weight. So much so, that when I read a post like this, I'm tempted to follow the advice just because it sounds fun, even though it isn't what I need.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #33
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
If I was you I would train with them once of twice a week. It would help with bonding and get you past the them and me stage. If it's really not for you then you can move on after a month or so. It may actually help your training as well. Continue to do your WOD and make some time to relax and eat.
This is what I would do. Maybe you will be able to get them to try CrossFit. I can understand the frustration of their teasing, but if they are trying to get you to workout with them it sounds like they are wanting to include you and help you. Just don't do anything you think will harm you. Bicep curls aren't going to ruin your fitness, after all.

If you keep doing your metcons while getting stronger eventually they will catch on.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #34
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" and when I struggle to lift up large pieces of equipment "

So much for training for life.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #35
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post
I'm very capable of handling it. I give it right back. The thing is that it's none of their business what I do or how I train let alone how I look. The offer for training was merely a clever way for them to say "you're training sucks, mine is better so train with me because i'm huge (therefore I know what i'm doing)" when in actual fact they are terrible trainers and they are naturally big guys so they would be big no matter what they did.

I think most people have missed the point of this thread. Having someone tell me Crossfit sucks because i'm not massive was the point. It's typical globo gym mentality and fear of incorporating cardio and intensity into a workout because it will make you lose precious weight.
Niall, I can identify a bit. Genetics have played a huge role in my own training...I have a large frame, so I've excelled at strength and power, but have problems with moving my body weight. As I write this, I have a workout later today that involves 185 lb front squats and ring dips, and I know that I'm the only guy in the gym saying to himself "sweet, those front squats are gonna be easy, but those ring dips are gonna kill me"...everyone else is fearing those squats.
I understand your frustration...but let me ask: what ARE you good at? CrossFit teaches us a number of skills, and at your body weight you should be great at the rings, things like handstand push-ups, etc. How are your gymnastics skills? You need to show those things off, because what you're competing with is a definition of fitness that only involves strength. You need to challenge that definition by showing that you can do things they can't.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #36
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
Holy crap dude, you are a damn skeleton. Eat, then eat more, then eat even more. Repeat until a stiff breeze won't blow you over.
Hahahaha, thank you for this. I don't laugh out loud at almost anything, but this came out of nowhere and was great.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #37
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:

True. Having someone diss your workout program does suck, especially when you believe in it. Although, there are those elitist people out there who flaunt CF or whatever training module they use and can be very annoying - I'll assume your not one of these.

Remember, CrossFit is about being generally good at everything. That means you should be able to challenge these guys up to a certain point in say a component lift such as Deadlift and then smoke them in a MetCon.

Anyways, I would repeat what many on the forum have said. Also, even if CrossFit is your religion, remember to branch out and try all different types of training, exercise, fitness. Give these guys workout a shot, your with them all day anyways and your trying to get strong as you've said they already are.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #38
Ian Strand

Profile:

Quote:
It's typical globo gym mentality and fear of incorporating cardio and intensity into a workout because it will make you lose precious weight.
Some would say it's typical CrossFit mentality to be afraid of packing on a few pounds of fat in the pursuit of a bit of (in your case, sorely needed IMHO) size because it will make you lose precious "hot abzz".

Point is, these are both false stereotypes.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #39
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Crossfit is all-around fitness. 65 kilos at 6'1" tall is not all-around fitness.
"Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat."
You're not doing that, you're not eating enough to support exercise and your numbers show it.
So eat.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 04-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #40
Alex Bond

Profile:

You are a twig and it is negatively affecting your life in many ways. Eat big, do 3 sets of 5 of back squats 3 times a week, and give the cardio a rest. Everyone is telling you this, open your ears.