CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Anyone else being judged on their diet?

Someone should get Tamara in here to tell the story about her in-laws criticizing her breakfast. That was kind of funny.

I've only ever been complimented, never had anyone make a negative comment. I was eating broccoli, spinach, almonds and a chicken breast for lunch one time and a girl I work with said "You always eat so healthy! It's awesome."
Or when I'm in the break room microwaving the meat I brought for lunch I always get "Damn that smells good? What is it?"
to which I respond with something like "Pork loin/Pork Chop/Chicken breast/ground beef (had this the other day with cayenne pepper, damn good)/etc" and they respond with "Sounds awesome."
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Christie Warner

Profile:

Definitely....anyone who is doing anything against the grain is certainly going to be condemned for it--especially by complacent, bitter individuals who want help but cannot find the power to make the jump. I've been complimented a lot, then asked for guidance on how I do it. Based on the responses I get from complacent, bitter people on the present diet plan of most Americans, I think I may just tell them, "lots of sex, drugs, and alcohol! And don't forget the bread!!!" just kidding....?
I'm at the "I do what I do and you do what you do..." point - what works for me, works...that's my focus. I love talking and getting/giving advice to those who are dedicated and open-minded...I and the other individual learn so much. But, I do not care to convert those looking for a stupid debate even if they come to me in person first, whether at the gym or anywhere else. For them, any assistance given from this point on will need monetary compensation per hour.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

It's an exercise in futility to try to justify to others what you're doing. You just gotta know what your doing is right and keep going.

Two things in my experience that stand out though: a conversation with a fat friend of mine who criticized my de-emphasis of bicep curls to which I responded "HAHAHAHAhahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHAhahah.. wait... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA." Not nutrition but in the same vein.

Second.. if you can get to the gym with any of these people their criticism falls way.. if you can back it up that is.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Marissa Owens

Profile:

We had a staff appreciation day lunch last week and it was carb city... all sorts of pastas, sandwiches, cheesy things, dessert. I found my way to the large bowl of lettuce piled on some greens and managed to find a protein to put on top of it. I sit down and one of my coworkers says, "So how much longer are you doing this weird eating thing?" My response to her: "For the rest of my life...." and I went on eating.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Tim Reding

Profile:

Yahya, nice with the "OK USA" quote. I have that one in my arsenal as well. His face looks hilarious when he says it.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
Daniel Alexander Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
"So how much longer are you doing this weird eating thing?" My response to her: "For the rest of my life...." and I went on eating.
haha

Most people would not understand the idea of a "lifestyle change". Its all fad diets and quick fixes.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

People with eating disorders often feel like they're being judged on their diet.

I'm not going to single out any individuals here or link to specific posts but I have seen numerous posts on this forum where people clearly display features of eating disorders. It's worth keeping in mind therefore that there are sometimes good reasons why people, particularly close friends and family, may question your diet and appear to be judgemental.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
People with eating disorders often feel like they're being judged on their diet.

I'm not going to single out any individuals here or link to specific posts but I have seen numerous posts on this forum where people clearly display features of eating disorders. It's worth keeping in mind therefore that there are sometimes good reasons why people, particularly close friends and family, may question your diet and appear to be judgemental.
Dude, why must you always troll? I don't think eating a breakfast of eggs, bacon, and tomatoes would be considered a symptom of an eating disorder. I'm not going to disagree with you that the potential for that exists (especially on regimented diets) but this is not the place.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
Ian Strand

Profile:

I don't think Darryl's trolling; it's refreshing to see different points of view on this board instead of cookie cutter responses. And I didn't really take it as him slamming a breakfast of eggs, tomatoes and bacon, although I may be mistaken.

Kinda like when ol' Barry Cooper used to incite discussion on the mainpage comments - there was a lot more involvement when he was around.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
Erin Arno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Joy Lawson View Post
Definitely....anyone who is doing anything against the grain is certainly going to be condemned for it--
Is that a shirt yet? A big X through a bunch of oats? Cause I want it.