CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Richard Hancock

Profile:
Un-acheivable Goals?

When I first started crossfit, last december, at age 52, I was amazed at my almost instantaneous results. As a lifetime gymnast and athlete, I thought I was coming back into my youth, and would be able to get back some of the skills that I had years ago. I believe, now, that I was wrong. I am not giving up. I am continuing to workout, continuing to improve my strength, but not continuing to think that I will soon accomplish a one arm pull up, or planche, or be able to tumble, pain free, like a child of thirty or so.

What I have done is set new goals, that I am sure are obtainable, and let those acheivements lay a foundation for new goals. I am striving to be able to complete the Workout of the Day, in good time, with comparable loads, considering I am small and old.

I guess my point is, sometimes, rather than getting discouraged, we need to be more realistic. Keep yourself entertained and alive with obtainable short-term goals. Only in acomplishing preliminary milestones can we accomplish the long-range complete fitness.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Jake Di Vita

Profile:
Re: Un-acheivable Goals?

True story.

It's critical to have long term goals - but most people neglect to add in short term goals that are on that path.

If you aren't revisiting your goals every few weeks (at least every month) you are hurting yourself.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Jim Forney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hancock View Post
not continuing to think that I will soon accomplish a one arm pull up, or planche
I've mentally struggled with what's possible at my age and fitness level, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet - I turned 50 last friday. I "discovered" what a planche is only recently and thought I'd give them a try. I've been slowing practicing frog stands over the last week and making some progress.

Are you saying you are giving up on the planche or you are resetting your target goal for successfully doing them?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Richard Hancock

Profile:

I am not giving up on that skill, just th thought that I might acheive that very soon. I know it will take me longer than I anticipated.

I just got over-excited when I started, thinking that I was going to change back to young adulthood, suddenly. When the dust settled and I could see clearly, I now realize I am not going back, that far. LOL
Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

You don't have to give it up; just put it in proper perspective. It may take 2-5 years to get there. Jake said it best. Plan your trip, plan the stops along the way. Review and revise accordingly.

Your web address would be funnier if your name was Richard Han.