CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #791
Scott McIntyre

Profile:
Re: 2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Redoing 12.4 as 13.3 was far from cool. I almost need help off the toilet.
Bahahaa...I did it Thursday and Im still sore!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #792
Rick H Larson

Profile:

Reading some of the predictions about the next WOD I'm kind of surprised that people are guessing the workouts will play to the strengths of the competitors who will be demoing them (bodyweight stuff for Spealler, heavy for Froning and Khalipa). Looking at the first three workouts I think they HQ looked more towards targeting the athletes weaknesses more than their strengths.

Bailey is a brute strength/explosive athlete with excellent short WOD capabilities. So far he's had to perform the longest workout for the Open this year that also had the most technical movement. Sure, he's got a pretty heavy snatch for a games competitor but at regionals last year technique sure wasn't what got him through the snatch ladder. Even the commentators were amazed that he relied on muscle/power snatching just about every lift. I really don't think 13.1 favored him at all but being the excellent athlete he is the performance was still solid. I won't comment on Panchik because I haven't followed him all that much.

13.2 was a light weight burner and they chose two of the strongest Games female games competitors. I think most people were guessing there would be more weight in that workout.

With 13.3 I think the fact that they had who I believe is the shortest female competitor, Clever, doing wall balls is again going after the weakness. Of course Clever is a top tier athlete so the outcome was exceptional.

Any workout they throw at these athletes will still be performed at exceptional levels simply because these are the biggest names in the sport. Based on what I've seen so far though I'm doubting either of these next two workouts will play to the athlete's strengths.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #793
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
Bahahaa...I did it Thursday and Im still sore!
I don't know what the deal is but I did it Thursday while I was still sore from Fran Monday and got 186 reps, then I did it Sunday and got 241 and today i'm not sore
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #794
Scott McIntyre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I don't know what the deal is but I did it Thursday while I was still sore from Fran Monday and got 186 reps, then I did it Sunday and got 241 and today i'm not sore
You are lucky, one time down for me, 256 and had the worst time with DOMS. Even the thought of doing it over again hurt my brain.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #795
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I'm cracking up looking at the team leaderboard. If you filter by week 2 and look in any region, there are teams who placed (very) poorly on the first and third workouts and have this magnificent score for the second. I would LOVE to see this exact workout show up at regionals and see how the team scores change.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #796
Scott McIntyre

Profile:

Quote:
I'm cracking up looking at the team leaderboard. If you filter by week 2 and look in any region, there are teams who placed (very) poorly on the first and third workouts and have this magnificent score for the second. I would LOVE to see this exact workout show up at regionals and see how the team scores change.
Ya, 13.2 made a HUGE difference in where people placed, good and bad!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #797
Joshua Foladare

Profile:

Quote:
+1 for me
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #798
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

There are obviously people who could be bad at snatching and muscle ups/double unders who can just motor along doing aerobic box step ups to some nebulous standard. So I buy the scores, just doubt that everyone was doing the same standard of stand tall and show control on top of the box.

There's a very curious anomaly on the women's scoreboard this week: A person with very average scores for 13.1 and 13.2 ends up posting 3rd best in the world for 13.3, one of only 4 women In The World to finish muscleups and get back to wall ball. Makes you wonder...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #799
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Chollet View Post
There are obviously people who could be bad at snatching and muscle ups/double unders who can just motor along doing aerobic box step ups to some nebulous standard. So I buy the scores, just doubt that everyone was doing the same standard of stand tall and show control on top of the box.

There's a very curious anomaly on the women's scoreboard this week: A person with very average scores for 13.1 and 13.2 ends up posting 3rd best in the world for 13.3, one of only 4 women In The World to finish muscleups and get back to wall ball. Makes you wonder...
I don't know if I'd classify 275 reps as an average score for 13.2. I'd say it's pretty excellent and may actually illustrate someone with a good engine AND good standards. Just saying. She may be pretty light which would make snatches and presses difficult, but MU easy.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #800
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Chollet View Post

Yeah, there may be people who could be like that, but entire teams?