CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Kurt Thomas Hunt

Profile:
Reebok Crossfit Nano Review

Hadn't seen too many reviews of the Nano, thought I'd share this one and try to get a feel of what other people thought about the shoes.

##

I just received my pair of Reebok CrossFit Nanos . Having been lucky enough to snatch up one of the first thousand pairs made available to the public, I feel obligated to share my thoughts on these sweet new CrossFit kicks.

A bit of background information: Iíve been CrossFitting since late 2007. Iím 30 years old, 5í10Ē, and I weigh in at 149. All of my training comes courtesy of Eric Kendrew at DriveThroughPlease.com who programs workouts between five and six times per week.

My choice of shoes only began to matter at the beginning of this year. Iíd been wearing a pair of Adidas Trail Running shoes for about two years and found them less than ideal for the demands of CrossFit, especially Olympic weight lifting. They had somewhere around a 12mm differential and on top of that, they were bloody heavy. Then I stumbled onto Inov-8s. Iíve owned one pair of the 195s since March and I absolutely love them. They look hot, they feel great and I know for a fact they have contributed to a majority of my gains in the past six months.

When the opportunity arose to purchase Reebokís CrossFit Nanos popped up the other day, I box-jumped (nice, right?) at the chance. The Nanos were also my first pair of Reebok shoes, period. Iíve been stuck on Adidas most of my life, never really caring to branch out and try something new. The Nanos arrived five days ago and have been under rigorous scrutiny ever since.

First impression: Iíll be honest; I was really disappointed by the presentation. The shoes came in a nondescript blue box with the Reebok logo slapped in the corner. I was expecting something slightly more colorful; at least the CrossFit logo, but not limited to pictures of the 2011 Games or some killer standout design. Nope, I got a boring blue box. Inside were two lonely shoes wrapped in a flimsy piece of Reebok tissue. What a buzz kill.

I was also disappointed to find the box void of anything other than shoes. No paperwork, decals, or flashy gimmicks crammed in with my shoes; no directions on how to use the U-form technology, just a small sticker INSIDE THE SHOE directing me to a website where I could learn how to use the U-form. I set my disappointment aside and slipped the shoes on.

The shoes themselves are nice to look at. I settled on the black and gray Nanos.

I broke them in at the office, taking a quick stroll outside to see how they fit and how they felt. I wear a 9.5 so I ordered a 9.5. They fit fine; I know a lot of people were saying the sizing was off, but I disagree.

Since the Nanos arrived Iíve used them for three workouts. The first experience was with squat cleans; nothing heavy, just enough to get a feel for balance. The shoes had great stability and were comfortable.

The second workout was a GI Jane (100 Burpee Pull-ups) with a bonus WOD tacked on: 10 Burpees every minute on the minute for 10 minutes. 200 burpees; what a way to break in the shoes! And the Nanos did me good. I finished the GI Jane in 9:25 and the bonus workout was a piece of cake. Not that the shoes played a huge part, but again they were comfortable, they held a good grip on the floor and were light enough where they didnít hinder my movement or bog me down.

My third workout was an active rest day jog (4.5 miles on rough trails). Normally Iíd wear my Inov-8s for something like this, but I opted to wear the Nanos and risk getting them dirty (gasp!). For the most part I was running on sand, dry leaves and protruding limestone cobbles. The shoes took the impact from the rocks better than my 195s, but I felt like the grip on some of the incline hills could have been better. Overall I was satisfied with how the shoes performed on the run. I didnít exhibit any shin or calf pain after the run and avoided getting hung up on any protruding roots or branches (what I consider a sure sign of a good fit).

Now hereís the bad. The U-form technology is an absolute waste. Not only did I feel ridiculous holding my girlfriendís hair dryer in my shoes, there was absolutely zero difference before and after I made my shoes incredibly warm. Who in their right mind has time before a WOD to set aside sixteen minutes to heat up their shoes (four minutes to heat each shoe and then eight minutes wait to let them settle)?

My recommendation after living in these shoes for five days straight is to buy them. I love my Inov-8s and itíll take a hell of a lot more for me to get rid of them, but the CrossFit Nanos are an *** kicking shoe that deserves a chance. Iím anxious to see what Reebok has in mind for the future of this series. I think Iíll skip the Oly, but Iím hoping Reebok will shoot for something a little bit more trail oriented down the line.

Feel free to leave love and hate right here, or check out SexyArchaeology.org where the WOD is excitingly appealing science!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	6978
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	8627  
Old 11-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Lucas King

Profile:
Re: Reebok Crossfit Nano Review

Awesome review! Thanks!

For the U-Form you should bake it. Yes I did say that. I think we put my shoes (Got the Oly's in July) in the oven for 3min or so @ 250. They get hot but it works well! Or did for Oly anyway, might want to double check with reebok before you do it with the nanos.

Also Oly shoes are awesome, definitely worth a look!!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

I did it with my Nano's last week. I've had them since the Games and I don't think baking them made a huge difference. I've heard great things about doing them to hockey skates but that's a much more rigid model. For a shoe....they felt amazing when I put them on out of the oven, but not sure they stay "molded".

Anyway, aside from that I would recommend the shoe as well.
I've been through tons of different shoes and this one would be my top all-around.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Kurt Thomas Hunt

Profile:

Ah, see... I thought I was going to have to pop them in the oven as well. But Reebok told me differently. See link. Apparently, only the Olys are made for the oven. Nanos get the hairdryer.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Lucas King

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Thomas Hunt View Post
Ah, see... I thought I was going to have to pop them in the oven as well. But Reebok told me differently. See link. Apparently, only the Olys are made for the oven. Nanos get the hairdryer.
Good to know! Thanks for the link, sucks to hear that though. Maybe try a store that sells hockey skates, they usually have something that looks like a hair dryer but puts out a lot more heat. Might work better then?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Does anyone know when reebok will replenish their stock of Nano's?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Dan Kreeley

Profile:

Kurt, your review is much appreciated. The Reebok review at wlshoes seems to share some of your sentiments but I had a question that I could find in either review or on Reebok's site.

When you blow dry or bake the shoes, do you take the insole our or leave it in?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Does anyone know when reebok will replenish their stock of Nano's?
That's what I want to Know! I love my New Balance MT20, but I want to try the Nano. Reebok knows the market is there, what's the hold up. Hopefully they come out before I'm shopping for a new pair.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
That's what I want to Know! I love my New Balance MT20, but I want to try the Nano. Reebok knows the market is there, what's the hold up. Hopefully they come out before I'm shopping for a new pair.
Everyone seems to love the MT20. I have a wide foot but NB does have a wide size in that shoe. I keep thinking I should just go with the MT20 but my inner gear whore says wait for the Nano. BTW- I've now read that Reebok will have nore Nano's in early January.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Everyone seems to love the MT20. I have a wide foot but NB does have a wide size in that shoe. I keep thinking I should just go with the MT20 but my inner gear whore says wait for the Nano. BTW- I've now read that Reebok will have nore Nano's in early January.
Hopefully in better colors this time.....