CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
olympic lifting questions

1a) do high level o-lifters (I'm talking about real olympic level athletes) do conditioning. I've heard they do massive amounts of volume, but that letting me thinking how they can possibly do any type of conditioning and still have the energy to lift full force.
1b)if they don't do conditioning how do they stay so dam lean with almost no body fat ?

2) I've been saving my o-lift workout for saturday when i have access to bumpers but want to o-lift more frequently throughout the week. can i o-lift with steel plates, if I'm confident i can return the weight to the floor with no dropping?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: olympic lifting questions

Things like the clean, or clean and jerk can probably be lowered more safely to the front squat position, then carefully to the floor.

With the snatch you can probably lower it to your back, although unless you do it where you can walk it into a rack of some sort afterwards, (squat rack, or jerk boxes) I don't know how you would lower that safely to the floor.

As far as bodyfat, I'm going to guess that the olympic lifting they do combined with a very strict diet is how they keep weight.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 09-26-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
1a) do high level o-lifters (I'm talking about real olympic level athletes) do conditioning. I've heard they do massive amounts of volume, but that letting me thinking how they can possibly do any type of conditioning and still have the energy to lift full force.
As a rule no

Quote:
1b)if they don't do conditioning how do they stay so dam lean with almost no body fat ?
Diet + drugs

Quote:
2) I've been saving my o-lift workout for saturday when i have access to bumpers but want to o-lift more frequently throughout the week. can i o-lift with steel plates, if I'm confident i can return the weight to the floor with no dropping?
Yes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

1) It depends. The Chinese do quite a bit of conditioning, the Bulgarians did almost none. However, remember that training 4-6 hours a day is going to burn quite a few calories even if "all" you're doing is the classical lifts. You also need to define what "conditioning" actually means. Things like plyometrics and sled work can have a cardio component while also serving as assistance work.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

In addition to what was already said, some countries do combination lifts (i.e. snatch pull+snatch+OHS) for reps. This will burn calories too, but do you really identify it as conditioning?? Like Kathryn said, you have to define conditioning, but generally, no it's not done.

You can lift with steel, just stay within your ability. Lower snatches carefully to the front, I use straps so it doesn't fall out of my grip coming down.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The only fat lifters who reach the elite levels are superheavies. The lifters who can't resist the Oreo cookies have weeded themselves out of contention a long time ago.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

Conditioning as an Olympic lifter is an interesting question. It can be done many different ways depending on the philosophy of the coaches. Goodness knows I've had coaches who don't suggest it, and coaches like the one I'm currently training with who make it a huge priority. But I can tell you from experience that especially during the volume phase of training time between sets can be decreased to help cardio strength. Check out videos of Stephan Botev doing lifts in training. He almost has no rest time between lifts. Although it doesnt sound like much the effect is quite strong.

I've put my lifters through some workouts that when they are doing it correctly have their heart rate averaging around 160 bpm. In my own training that is actually my target heart rate for my snatches and for my c&j it is quite higher. Since starting my training with Risto Sports, they've advised me to train this way my ability to deal with training demands have increased.

Try this, work up from 55% to 80% doing triples. Take small jumps and try to get about 24+ reps in. Now, only take about a min between sets. (I've noticed with me it is 1:15, but my crossfit clients, it was about :45-1:00 to get the same effect). If you're not winded by the end of it, I'd be surprised.

In terms of lowering the weight, that use to be required back in the day (1950's). They say that those lifters were actually stronger than most today due to the need to lower the weight, and of course the press lift. Lowering the snatch can be done, I personally would do that with straps to help keep the grip on the bar, but just be careful and try it with lighter weight only.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

They stay lean because they expend more calories based on their training regimen.

As far as conditioning goes for olympic lifters, they are better off doing low intensity work most of the time. Swimming, rowing, biking,walking, sled dragging(light), etc... for active recovery. They already lift at a high intensity to begin with, so any hard conditioning work should be limited or withheld until the off season.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Josh Waine

Profile:

Watch this series for how the Polish team of the 70's did their conditioning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgigENw8-g wfs
Looks like a bunch of running and jumping