CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Courtney Barnett

Profile:
Trying to get mom to join CF

Hi All,

I am a CF lvl1 trainer and am having a hard time convincing my mother that she can do CF! She is 59 years old and has always been into "working out". Never much of a lifter, she likes CURVE because it gives her something different. When she was younger (prior to injury that I will discuss soon) she ran marathons and was an athlete in HS and college. I think CrossFit would do her wonders as she is always looking for a new health thing to start. She has always had "issues" with her size, though I am a doting daughter that think she's wonderful just the way she is.

Anyhow enough about that...her limitations (which she points out every time I bring it up) is that she has a fused spine. Her L1-L5 was fused do to having severe scoliosis. The surgery was done in '98 and ever since she's been limited in what she can do. She can no longer run without pain, so she is stuck walking, which she does a TON of. I think her biggest limitation is the fact that she can't do exercises that cause her to bend a lot at the hips (like situps for example) due to having metal rods in her back.

Have any of the trainers experienced training people in her situation? If so, do you have words of wisdom for me? I'd like to run her through some WODs when I return from this deployment, but I do NOT want it to be a negative experience for her. Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Courtney Barnett

Profile:
Re: Trying to get mom to join CF

Moved post over to INJURIES forum, I think it fits there better.