CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Jeff Binek

Profile:
5/3/1 Deload Week & CF

So I'm doing Wendlers 5/3/1 and am coming up on the Deload week. He says the deload week is to rest, recover and grow. During this week should I just take it easy on my 5/3/1 lifts? Or should I also back off my WoDs, and focus on rest. Right now I am currently doing 3 WoDs a week on top of my 5/3/1 training, and following up with my supplemental lifts. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are to Deload on 5/3/1 Lifts only, and keep my WoDs & supplemental lifts the same intensity, and focus on rest and diet for the week.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 Deload Week & CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
So I'm doing Wendlers 5/3/1 and am coming up on the Deload week. He says the deload week is to rest, recover and grow. During this week should I just take it easy on my 5/3/1 lifts? Or should I also back off my WoDs, and focus on rest. Right now I am currently doing 3 WoDs a week on top of my 5/3/1 training, and following up with my supplemental lifts. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are to Deload on 5/3/1 Lifts only, and keep my WoDs & supplemental lifts the same intensity, and focus on rest and diet for the week.
If you're programming WODs in with 531, you're already smart enough to figure this out . That is, you should already be listening to your body and realizing when you're beat and can't handle the extra work. Heavy lifting (obviously), heavy metcons, or just long metcons in general should probably be avoided during the deload week. Anything that takes a while to recover from. That leaves basically short metcons of various flavors/intensities (Tabata, sub 10 min WODs, etc.). However, there are no hard and fast rules, it just depends on what your priorities are for the time being. If you want to maximize your strength, you should take a significant step back during the deload week. But if you're okay with sub par rep maxes and possible plateauing in the interest of developing your overall work capacity, then lifting with some fatigue can be okay. However, the fact that you're doing a structured strength program (rather than just following mainsite diligently) indicates to me that strength is the priority, in which case rest should also be the priority. I'd probably take the last 2-3 days of the deload week completely off if you are doing metcons that week.

Test things out. If you notice a decline in strength peformance (rep maxes and estimated 1RM), take a bite of the humble pie and do less on the side. If not, onward ho!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Yea thats a good idea, do a lot of flexibility and mobility work, along with some gymnastics, one day at the track maybe. Thanks for the reply. STR is the priority, you are correct sir.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Oh yeah, check out http://strongislandsc.com/ (wfs), they post 5/3/1 mixed with WODs on the front page.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Yea thats a good idea, do a lot of flexibility and mobility work, along with some gymnastics, one day at the track maybe. Thanks for the reply. STR is the priority, you are correct sir.
also remember that a lot of CF followers recommend a 1/2 intensity week every 4th week to facilitate recovery.

Seems like you could just have your 1/2 intensity week coincide with your 5/3/1 deload week.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Deload week means deload. Deload your main lifts, your assistance and your conditioning.

This is what Wendler recommends.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

I would put it like this:

-If the main movement, assistance, and metcon are all scaled back or eliminated, your deload will facilitate rest and continued strength gains are supported.

-If you deload the main movement and continue assistance and metcon, you may see slight metcon gains (compared to not doing metcon) at the risk of overtraining and losing strength and maybe more.

I sometimes felt "fat" on my deload weeks because I wasn't training hard or heavy. Not only is this false, but as so many people put it, training is a marathon....long term goals mean thinking long term.

Last edited by Daniel Higgins; 06-15-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Kerri Heffel

Profile:

i just finished my first deload week with 5/3/1. i did pretty much what everyone else is saying. i did short (sub 8 minutes) body weight wod's, some light skill work, POSE drills and plenty of stretching. just take it easy...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Personally, I have found that big heavy weights over-train me very easily, but the most grueling of MetCons do not. (Grueling meaning lots of double-unders and box jumps, or something like that that makes you feel asthmatic as opposed to taxing the muscles/nervous system). So, my strategy is to deload on heavy lifts, possibly not doing them at all, and keep or kick it up with the metabolic aspects.

That's just me though, knowing myself.