CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Rippetoe on Butt wink during Squats

Hey all, for my first post I figure I'd get an interesting discussion going.

I've been on SS for about three weeks; during this time, I've watched every squat video, stalked every Rippetoe site (************.com, crossfit), and some non Rip sites (Bodybuilding.com, stronglifts.com) learning all I could about the squat. I squat, squat stretch, and obsess about the squat entirely too much. My flexibility in the squat has gotten tons better, especially since seeing the airsquat demo on Crossfit's exercise page. The demostrator has little to no butt wink and maintains a great arch. The demonstrator is also a flexible female, similar to the one in starting strength who has, as Rip puts it, "great hamsting extensibility."

Long story short, here's a great link that helped me get over my fear of squatting and butt wink and just start squatting. I'm still working to achieve a nice arch and no butt wink, but not at the cost of squatting.

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177

A highlight, though the whole thing should be read:

" It is sometimes easy to confuse a position cue with an anatomical position. Just had a row with a buddy about this last week, in fact. I don't usually have any problem getting good depth with a decent back position. I agree with you about decent: perfect lordotic extension is not necessary, and that's not my criteria. Decent is safe, and safe need not be perfect. Coaches who insist that perfect flexibility in the hamstrings be present before loading up the squat 1.) will never get much done with novice athletes, and 2.) ignore the value of the loaded squat as a stretch. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for keeping me honest.

It has been my experience that most people who have decent hamstring flexibility can get below parallel if their thighs are kept out of the way; the knees should track straight over the toes, the toes should be pointed out at about 30 degrees, and this allows the hips to drop into good depth 90% of the time." - Ripp

Hope this is of interest; it certainly helped me get over my fear of imperfection and just get squatting, though, to be fair, for most of you there'd be little fear of the minute weights I'm taking on.

Enjoy, Steve
Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Doug Holland

Profile:
Re: Rippetoe on Butt wink during Squats

Here is some of the best video instruction on squats to add to your list.

And Welcome to CF,

Doug
Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:

Thanks for the link. I agree but have kept my yap shut. A little wink is not ideal but it's hardly the issue some make it out to be.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Agreed. I have a sneaking suspicion that in many cases, people point out butt winking because it's the only flaw their eye knows how to catch.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Agreed. I have a sneaking suspicion that in many cases, people point out butt winking because it's the only flaw their eye knows how to catch.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because people just stare at each other butts when they squat.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Evan Satterfield

Profile:

I just think its Fun to say................Butt wink. Tee Hee
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I agree completely. For me, it's all about function. When are you ever going to touch your *** on the ground and then jump up? Below parallel squats are where it's at, but ATG is just ridiculous. I can't think of one scenario outside the weight room where you'd need to perform the movement.

David: IS there another reason to watch all the squat videos in the Digital Coaching section?