CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Training for Mt Rainier Climb?

I'll be attempting Mt. Rainier via Liberty Ridge this June. I have been following CF for the past 2 years and am a big fan. I try to follow the WOD, though I go lighter on the lifts to protect my "old" body. 44y/o m 5.9, 175. For example, today I ran 3 miles and then did Angie in 25 min.
Liberty Ridge is a more advanced route on Rainier involving ~3 days of hiking/climbing with the last day being ~12 hours of full on climbing on steep snow and ice with a 35lb pack.
I live in NY where my access to hills is pretty limited, so most of my training is either running or gym work.
Any suggestions for taking the training to the next level, and what improvements I can expect in 3 months would be much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Training for Mt Rainier Climb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
I'll be attempting Mt. Rainier via Liberty Ridge this June. I have been following CF for the past 2 years and am a big fan. I try to follow the WOD, though I go lighter on the lifts to protect my "old" body. 44y/o m 5.9, 175. For example, today I ran 3 miles and then did Angie in 25 min.
Liberty Ridge is a more advanced route on Rainier involving ~3 days of hiking/climbing with the last day being ~12 hours of full on climbing on steep snow and ice with a 35lb pack.
I live in NY where my access to hills is pretty limited, so most of my training is either running or gym work.
Any suggestions for taking the training to the next level, and what improvements I can expect in 3 months would be much appreciated.

Eric;
I'm sure you've checked out the companies that run guided trips and reviewed their fitness requirements.
I plan to do Rainer at some point, then MAYBE Denali.

My addition to your already solid training program would to be go on extended hikes with a weighted pack and try to simulate your final approach. That might be waking up at 2:00 AM, getting loaded up, eating some food, off you go for a 12 hour day. I assume 6 hrs up, 6 back.

On a weekly basis, if you can't make it to the hills, then find a treadmill, put a 4x4 or 6x6 underneath the front, then set the grade to max(15% in most cases), and climb away.
While biking, running, squats(front/back) all will make you stronger, nothing beats training at what you'll be doing.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Forgot to ask, are you using a Guide Service, if so, which one.

Since you're from the East, have you trained on any of hills in NY or elsewhere, if so, where?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Not using a guide service. I live on the East end of Long Island. Great surf, no mountains.
I have climbed a bit in NH, the Daks, and Catskills...I hope to get at least one trip up to Mount Washington this Spring.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Scott Bolan

Profile:

A couple suggestions:

1. (I agree with Jay) The *best* training for climbing is climbing. Wear you climbing boots & socks, fill you backback with 35 lb of dog food, and walk around. Ideally you would have some hills near buy but a treadmill would be a second best. I would also suggest walking around through uneven terrain (ie a rocky area).

2. I would suggest reading Extreme Alpinism by Mark Twight. I think Mr. Twight had a bit of a falling out with the CF group but his book is excellent. It will change how you look at the climbing industry (I tossed out my North Face jacket and now wear a cheap windbreaker when I climb).

Best of luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Chris Dunbar

Profile:

I head out most Sunday mornings with a pack between 50-75lbs, and go for 2 hrs or more. I find in my experience with long hikes, its carrying the pack that gets to people, No matter how fit you are. Never made any big climbs though, but thats just my thoughts.

Chris
Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
You gotta get to some mountains! No running or lifting can possibly mimic.the rigors of technical mountain climbing enough to prepare you properly. At the very least get to Harriman State Park just about every weekend until your trip. You're in L.I., right?

Best of luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
David Aguasca

Profile:

As it's been said here several times, climbing is the best. You probably know that speed in the mountains is dependent partially on your fitness and partially on efficiency of movement and transitioning between climbing and slogging.

Something I suggested in another thread about specific training: it might be a good idea to do some climbing, with a pack, at higher heart rates, if you can swing it. for example, going to a climbing gym and climbing in your plastic boots, but throwing in some burpees or other conditioning exercises between burns on some boulder problems or even routes.

Also, as chris noted, the pack issue: i've noticed this myself. While wearing a pack, even if it's 30lbs, compromises your balance, your breathing, and your postural muscles. Doing a couple WODS with a pack or a weight vest (the ones that permit it), in addition to hikes with it, might be an interesting experiment.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Get up to the snow and practice your snow skills: self-arrest, kicking steps, cramponing, glissading. Find a nice hill to crampon or kick steps up, glissade down, self-arrest a few times and repeat. You'll get a nice workout while you are at it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Michael Teague

Profile:

I am planning on doing Shasta in June. I have never done it before but have a done a fair amount of hiking in Yosemite. I definitely need to do more pack work.