CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Ron Winter

Profile:
Trying to get my fiance to do CF!! HELP!!

So today was my first go at trying to get my fiance to practice CF. We went to a local park where I was going to get her to do a 400m run along with 25 squats and 10 pushups for 5 rounds. Nothing special about this workout at all but I wanted it to be kind of simple for her. At first she started complaining at how dumb we look doing air squats and pushups out at this park. We finally started running and she stopped after the first 400m to walk. By the time the workout was over I could only get her to complete 4 rounds. (by the way, she's 5'3" about 115 pds - she's in shape from the looks of her but her conditioning as I found out, is BAD, real BAD!) Does anyone have any information on how I can get her excited about doing CF? I was real encouraging to her about how she did and told her I wanted to keep working out with her. If anyone else has gone through this please let me know what steps you took to get your partner involved. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Doug Holland

Profile:
Re: Trying to get my fiance to do CF!! HELP!!

Just got my wife to start crossfit a week after I did. My enthusiasm is what rubbed off on her.

Just keep that up and set a good example, even if she does not go.

Your results will inspire her,

D
Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

The best way is not to push her! Let her see what is working for you and dont overdo it on the enthusiasm! There have been threads numerous times on this.

and like you said what was easy for you may be a totally different experience for her. one of the key factors in CF is the ability and need to scale. if she had to walk the 400m, why didnt you let her or even better yet i hope you didnt discourage that or belittle her for wanting to walk. yeah it does look silly doing air sq in the park!! her feelings were spot on. what bothers her may be diff than you! she is entitled to those thoughts/feelings!

btw, i dont mean to be harsh on you but you may need some understanding on the m/f thing!

just my thoughts!

Last edited by Sarena Kopciel; 03-02-2008 at 06:07 PM..
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Ron Winter

Profile:

Not too harsh at all....I appreciate the feedback. Actually I didn't be-little her in any way....I encouraged her the whole time and when she needed to walk, we walked. I was just curious how many other people had dealt with this and how it worked out for them.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

Cut the workout back. 400m run/25 squats/10 PU doesn't sound too difficult, but for a beginner I'd go 200/15/5. Check out simplefit for some VERY scaled workouts. I'm not expert on the female psyche, but I'm thinking if your doing the same workout and badly beating her, scale back her workout so she has a chance of keeping up. Loser washes the car? - I don't know.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Don't push her. If that tactic works, it works, but if it doesn't, she'll be annoyed. Best to let her come around on her own. You've already set an example and her willingness to do 4 rounds of that workout (which incidentally seems a bit much for a beginner) indicates that she's already coming around pretty well. Keep the offer open but don't try to ram the WOD's down her throat.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
mike obrien

Profile:

i think it's important, psychologically, to show a beginner at anything that it is possible for them to do whatever the endeavor is. if she's capable of doing four rounds, then have her just do two. get her hooked first and then, let her own motivation be the force that pushes her to do more. either that, or show her a video of a prettier girl completing all five rounds. seeing that, she'll do six rounds and kick your *** when she's done.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

If she find exercising in a public park embarrassing then maybe working out indoors may be better option at least initially until her confidence and enthusiasm grows.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Winter View Post
Actually I didn't be-little her in any way....
A bit of marriage advice, my friend. If you were there, then you were wrong. If you observed her struggle, then somehow that constitutes belittling.

Struggling in a public forum adds to the stress. An 8-kg kettlebell and a host of gymastics exercises--all done in the privacy of your own home--may be in order.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
A bit of marriage advice, my friend. If you were there, then you were wrong. If you observed her struggle, then somehow that constitutes belittling.

Struggling in a public forum adds to the stress. An 8-kg kettlebell and a host of gymastics exercises--all done in the privacy of your own home--may be in order.
i think that's a great idea. teach her the basics (a sound squat comes to mind) and get her form down so that when she gets into workouts, she won't have to worry that she's doing them correctly.