CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Jason Kerr

Profile:
Just beginning ...

I just wanted to jump in and give a quick hi and hello to those that read the forums ... I am just beginning into crossfit and like many have said it is so simple it confuses the snot out of people. I've done conventional weight lifting and cardio for the past 7-8 months but, have seen little gain and to tell the honest truth I find myself fighting with my head on whether to go to the gym because of the increasing boredom I find with weight lifting. So finally a good friend of mine suggested to try out crossfit. I wouldn't say that I am hooked or that man I am having a great time doing this. We'll just have to see come the end of next week when I have completed a full circuit of this. I figured i'd start the weekend by doing the CFWU and to tell the truth I was ready to throw up at the end surprising to me as the only other time that I felt like this was doing a circuit that involved 40 minutes of cardio split between a full body workout. I love the idea of doing something different every day, rather than the daily/weekly/monthly grind of lifting weights.

I am m/24/195/5;10" and ideally would like to cut the weight and then gain in back in a more fashionable manner than where it is sitting now.

I'm not sure where to go from there just thought i'd stop in and say hi to everyone around that is currently envolved in CF and to those new people like me who are just starting ...

Take care everyone ...

See you around here :-)
Old 02-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Re: Just beginning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kerr View Post
I love the idea of doing something different every day, rather than the daily/weekly/monthly grind of lifting weights.
That's why I love it and have stuck to it. Look over the section on "Start Here", "FAQ" and "Exercises & Demos" on the front page and go from there. Ask questions and most of all have fun with it. And above all, work at your own level and pace. You'll be fine and welcome to CF.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Losing the weight will be mostly diet fixing so know that in advance that CF won't do it alone (but it will help significantly).

If you need help with diet hop on over to the Nutrition section fo the forums.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Brian Castillo

Profile:

welcome Jason. think about starting a log to track ypur progress and growth/loss. its a great tool to help actually see the numbers move in the direction you want.

I second the "it's never boring"
Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Welcome to CF. The definition of "enjoying" the workouts is very different in CF. I concur that reading the "start here", and the FAQ's are a big help. I'm only at this 2 months. I'm definately hooked. Definately post your progress on a log. The community reads the logs and supports eachother.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Jason Kerr

Profile:

I know that it's not just the work out but, also the diet ... right now diet is the hardest thing to control for me ... Living in the shacks and eating at the mess. Do not get to cook my own meals so I basically choose between different scales of grease to salad ... Which means I eat alot of salad and try to fill my proteins with breakfast ... eating egg whites ... Oh well another 2.5 months of this and i'll be home again and able to cook and eat how I want ... military life for the win I guess :-)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Jason Karr

Profile:

Great name by the way.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Jason Kerr

Profile:

Quote:
Great name by the way.

ha ... you too by the way :-)

I started the rest day today with about 2hrs of ball hockey *rest day yes* some of the other guys on my course were doing so ... so I joined for the fun/cardio aspect followed by that I did the CFWU for the rest of the day ...

I'm not sure exactly what i'm supposed to do on the rest days ... do I do exactly what they have in the WOD or can I do anything? I'm just alittle lost on that one thing ... I have read some posts from others and am just wondering this ... so far