CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:
Questions about affiliate that shuns heavy DLs / O-lifts

I have a local affiliate that fears / shuns / tries to stay away from going heavy on deadlifts , cleans, snatches, and squats. The reasoning is that they did it when they were in their 20's (in their 40s now) and it does nothing but tear up your joints and body for down the road.

I would like your questions/comments/advice as far as this goes. Their facility is beautiful, they are very friendly, very STRONG, very smart, and this is really the only thing i'm confused about.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Britt Buckingham

Profile:
Re: Questions about affiliate that shuns heavy DLs / O-lifts

Most likely he did it incorrectly in his 20s and that is why that mindet is there. I have been DLing and doing Olympic Lifts since my teens (15+years). Like anyting that is good for you if it is done incorrectly it can have negative results. It is a shame that this guy wont simply open his mind and learn to teach and do correctly. Not having these lifts can be a great disservice to an athlete. A weekend certification with USA Weightlifting can go a long way to getting on the road to safely teaching these lifts.
http://brittlift.blogspot.com
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Do they actually have joint/ soft tissue problems in the knees and back?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Dude u can go as heavy as u want over here...unfortunately I cant help you w/ the "very friendly, very STRONG, very smart" aspect
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

They did it - you didn't. So insist on doing them, and doing them correctly.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Do THEY shun them, like, personally? Or as a gym-wide rule? I would NOT be interested in a gym that didn't include heavy lifting in the program, but can completely understand if certain trainers don't do heavy lifting for their own reasons.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

I have been wondering about if I join, whether or not I will be able to deviate from the typical WOD once a week, in replacing met-con for an absolute strength based workout, specifically squats and deadlifts. Having lost 40 lbs and worked myself to a 425 1rm on the deadlift at 162 lbs, I'm a big believer in proper form being alright. Now I don't neccesarily believe in constantly going for 1RM, as I did manage to tweak my back after doing a set of push presses while tired. That was my own fault for having incorrect form, not a fault of the movement however. I Just have gone through their WOD's and have not seen much if any olympic lifting or heavy lifting except maybe once every three months or so. Possibly this is a result of the lack of training at the place, or the overall level of athletic ability of the clientele. My biggest problem is when I'm told " I don't need it".

Never in my life have i felt stronger, more stable, and more correct in my posture than when I was deadlifting 2x my bodyweight each week. All of my movements seemed more explosive, and more powerful.

What I'm looking for is research, or personal experience from those , like you, Britt, that have been lifting for ten+ years and have not had major joint problems or injury problems show up in their later years as a result.

My biggest joy in crossfit is the implementation of the olympic lifts, and the juxtapositioning of heavy lifting with high intesnity movements for a metabolic effect. I honestly, really get sick of burpees three times a week.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

Matthew,

Does the affiliate do any heavy lifting at all? 5x5, 3x3 etc.

I think Heavy lifting is critical to training. To leave it out of a program would leave a hole.

The only issue with Olympic lifting is that it takes a time to perfect your form. I think Back Squat, Deadlift, Power Clean, and Shoulder/PP are the easiest to learn. At minimum you should be working these heavier.

Until your form is perfect it is very smart to practice the OLY lifts with sub maximal weights or you are asking for trouble.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Scott Borre

Profile:

Here's your solution: Call them up or e-mail them and ask ;0

Some affiliates only do group lessons at specific times and don't really have the space available for people to go off and do their own thing. Others are a walk in whenever you want while they are open and either do their WOD, or you can ask to do their own and they'll accomdate you if possible (e.g. if they need the bars for others to do the WOD they might not allow you to).

As for shunning lifting heavy... well... you could always do 3 sets of 12. >_>
Old 08-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Britt Buckingham

Profile:

Matthew...
As you asked for personal experience...Back in 1992 I sufferd a triple tear (ACL, MCL, Miniscus) in my left knee. The injury occured water ski jumping, so it was not a lifting injury. After my rehab, I immediately returned to heavy training. My focus at the time was competative olympic weightlifting. I was able to train and be successful in competation despite my injuries.
I will say that as I have aged I dont recover as fast in my mid 30s as I did 10 years ago. Flexability has become an area that I have to work on more these days than I once did.
I still lift heavy on a weekly basis. My main focus is now my deadlift which I still compete (do cleans as AUX), and I also train with KBs. I squat heavy occasionally, but I dont have a rack and I train alone, so I keep it where I can safely dump a lift If I need to.
From my perspective I have had no issues from what was a significant injury as far as preventing me from lifting heavy. In this game you will encounter a lot of people who make excuses for not doing something. It generally comes down to those folks being unwilling to make the effort to achieve their best. Using what I have learned over the years through trial and error of lifting modalities I believe some of my best lifts are still ahead of me. Years of healthy heavy training can be done safely and effectively when attention to technique is taken as you noted concerning your back tweak. One thing you will generally never find is an old lifter who is not smart about training and detail oriented when it come to sound lifting technique.