CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Nia Schmald

Profile:
Starting Strength for a "fat" guy

Hi Folks,

In another thread (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...rting+strength) I've seen suggestions that people well above desired BF levels should skip the gallon of milk while doing starting strength.

Well at 5'7"/156/20% BF I definitely fall into that category. I gain wait easily. I added 10 lbs of fat in 3 very bad days in early feb and I have only managed to lose 4lbs of that since then. I can lose weight though, as I used to be 240 lbs about 8 years ago.

And I certainly need to work on my strength above all. So my primary goal is too add strength and muscle. Secondary though important is not too blow up like a stuffed pig or be so weak from lack of food that I can't recover between workouts.

My question is if I skip the gallon of milk what should I target for daily calorie intake? Zone blocks I think has me at about 1600 calories/day. Is this sufficient while doing starting strength?

Thanks for your help,
nia
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength for a "fat" guy

I disagree. If you want to build muscle you can use the milk. Yes you will put on fat as well as muscle (since you have some already I really would not worry about it), but once you get the strength, just get rid of the milk. You have to take them both. The stimuli SS provides will allow you to get away with it.

If you want some muscle you have to eat to support gaining. You can do SS all day long with 1,500 calories a day and you aren't going to gain any muscle to support those strength gains.

Nutrition is where you build all that stuff, and to gain muscle you need to eat to support it.

Last edited by George Mounce : 03-31-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Nia Schmald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
If you want some muscle you have to eat to support gaining. You can do SS all day long with 1,500 calories a day and you aren't going to gain any muscle to support those strength gains.
Thanks for weighing in George. And I tend to agree. Although ideally I could get some of the calories I need from my existing BF. Is this possible?

I guess the heart of the question is the old body building ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph stuff. Do different people need vastly different calories for hypertrophy? A gallon of milk is a boat load of calories. Is it really not too much for most people?

Thanks,
nia
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

If it was me, I would do the gallon.

Assuming, of course, that Starting Strength is a temporary phase and you'll return to CrossFit once you are done.

Starting Strength plus a gallon of milk can produce some truly phenomenal results.

After a couple of months, drop Starting Strength, follow CrossFit, Zone and watch the fat fly off in another couple of months.