CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
Jason Scully

Profile:
I know that the topic of the biceps have been discussed before and I did a forum search on biceps so I can read what other members had to say about them and the exercises used.

I for one have not done a bicep curl in a really long time. I currently do:

Pull-Ups
Chin-Ups
Ring Rows
And also biceps are work with other exercises such as KB Rows and so on.

After giving it some thought do you guys have a case against things such as standing bicep curls and other bicep exercises.

I have been examining my movements lately because this is something that I have been thinking about for some reason in regards to exercise and I have come to the conclusion that arm flexion is a big part of everyday life. The action you use in a bicep curl, primarily standing is done very frequently. At least for me it is.

So basically I would like to get an idea of others opinions on this topic and reasoning's for opinion.

I am starting to lean into adding more standing arm flexion exercises into some of my WOD's along with the others I do.

Thanks for the conversation in advance.
Jason

(Message edited by jasculs on February 12, 2007)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Chicks dig the guns too.....

Functional or not...I'd be lying if I didn't throw in a quick 3 set DB curls at the end of a workout every now and then....or just one triple drop set...I know....so cosmetic I am....There is a difference between doing some curls here and there and making it part of your scheduled workout like "Shoulders, Bi's and Tri's"....aka the old bodybuilding splits.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Jason Scully

Profile:
I'm not really even talking in terms of aesthetics. I notice that some are against bicep exercises, other then those done with pu's, chins, and so on.

What would be an argument against the functionality of standing bicep curls.

I'm not really talking about exercises such as preacher curls, isolated curls, and so on.

Jason
Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
My thoughts -
Nothing wrong with them. I did so many when I was younger I figured I used my quota. I did my last curl workout in early 2004.

I would add (IMO) that until you are doing sets of 20 reps in deadhang pullups most will get more bang for your bicep development buck in concentrating on your pullup numbers.

If you feel you want to do them treat them as an extra only, not as a base move.

This no curl thing started as a pre-crossfit experiment my thought was I was spending a fair amount of time doing bi's. One day did a workout with 10x10 BP supersetted with 10x10 deadhang chins (I didn't know what kipping was yet)and my arms hurt so bad I could hardly lift them. I thought what about all those curls I've been doing? Why couldn't my bi's take this? The light went on and I thought I'll just do lots of pulls and test to make sure my bi strength is not leaving, it didn't, and I have only tested on curl strength periodically for about 3 yrs.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Jason Scully

Profile:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't done a bicep curl myself since about 2002. I've been fine without them, but for some reason the thought popped up in my head.

I currently can do 20 dead hang pull-ups. I guess I was thinking about the standing bicep curl as it relates to a lot of everyday movements.

I think I might add it in every once in a while to my WOD's to see how I feel. I will also vary it with high rep, low weight and hight weight low rep. Depending on the type of WOD I decide to do.

Any other comments are appreciated.

Jason
Old 02-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Guest2

Profile:

if you want to define functionality as reflective of movements you see in day to day life, the curl doesn't rank too high. the heaviest thing i curl in my life outside the gym is a beer. but you'll hear some coaches who like power curls in some cases (like for highland gaming--think caber toss). other coaches like to throw them in when the athlete is gaining weight and may be doing some simple bodybuilding to encourage quality gain. and as mike says, chicks dig a pair of atomic bombs in the sleeves. personally, i learned all i know about curls from this dude:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/36686.jpg
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Jason Scully

Profile:
Greg,

I definitely understand that most arm flexion is done while not handling a lot of weight. However, that doesn't bode well as a going against the exercise.

If I used that same theory for the pull-up, then it would probably make sense to never do them, because through out a persons everyday life I'm sure they flex their arms a lot more then they ever move their body in a pull-up motion, if they ever do.

I for one probably hardly ever use a pull-up motion in my everyday life, but I love to do them and think they are great for my overall fitness.

Just so people understand I am not pro-bicep or con-bicep exercises. I figured it would be interesting to hear actual theories on why some don't choose to do them.

Jason
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
I think curling is a good movement. I just that most people way over do it. Some only do that.

I think it is functional , if there is such a thing. Look at a person carrying a box, be it laundry or soup cans.

I don't do them as often as I should. Mainly because they come at the end of my workout and are easy to skip.

Strongmen do them to prevent tearing biceps in other movements.

When ever I do them, I remember a Made episode on MTV. A young guy being trained as a wrestler and his coach screaming "curls for the girls". I guess that is the real reason to do them:-)
Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Everytime you pick up a kid you do a bicep curl ... seems like a functional movement to me.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Allen Yeh

Profile:
To be honest I can't remember the last time I did a bicep curl and my arms are almost the same size as they were when I was doing the bodybuilding routines where I had a set day just for biceps or bi's/tri's...etc

I've thought about this over the years and wondered if it's because I had a decent base of arm size from the years of bodybuilder type training or is it because of the types of exercises that I do now help to upkeep my arm size i.e. rows/chins/pullups

No real answers in the post just a little bit of observation from my angle.

To the person that said something about kids and bicep curls, I'm not sure how often you pick up little kids but my form when I pick up my son is nothing like what I'd do in the gym.