CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
I'm not entirely sure what was going on today but it was a disaster. Started doing cleans with 75# and was done after the first round. Went into the second round and started getting sharp pains in my right knee. Ive had unchecked issues with it before so my buddy said better careful than sorry. Im so angry and discouraged. Is it possible I'm expecting too much of myself, Ive been in for about 2 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for my knee? I have a feeling that my joint is looser than it should be, the ligaments aren't strong enough. Am I being a big baby, if so someone please slap me in the face and tell me to man up.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Chris,
Can't help you with the knee, but I'm moving the question to Injuries.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Sharp pain bad...

Default suggestion is get to a good orthopod for an eval. If you choose to disregard that canned advice, I will give you some non-physician advice.

Are you doing bodyweight squats, crossfit warmup, OHS? You may have knee issues that need to be worked through ie doing deep airsquats to strengthen muscles around the joint. If you have knee issues where the muscle are not supporting the area it will take time doing something like bodyweight only squats to correct it. Explosive moves may need to wait and be worked up to slowly.

Get some of the pertinent back issues of the crossfit journal, read all of Lynne Pitts page(s) look through the injury section archives.

Can you squat deeply without pain heels on the ground, shins almost upright, good arch in lower back? If your shins move way forward and your heels want to raise you have form/flexability issues. Are your knees tracking in the same direction as your feet are pointing? Consider the video coaching section for input. Consider this advice at your own risk, it is hard to coach with very minimal information, especially not seeing you actually perform even a basic squat. I give this advice because I have worked with people and many have a tendency to do the squat like a deep knee bend with the knees going way forward instead of sitting back. I could be way off, or not...