CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #701
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:
Re: Over 50 CrossFitters Sign In

The posts are flying up here so quickly I have to look back over them to try and remember who to toss props to...suffice to say; Congratulations to all on the PR's...if I don't hurry up I'll never catch up.

Charlie, I'm going to Lowes later today to buy some bird seed and motor oil, if you'd like I'll see if they have any mojo adhesive. I hear it works wonders. AND don't give up on the power of the chucks...I just bought a custom pair for the wife (her birthday is the 25th); they have little pink skulls on them.

Feeling pretty froggy today so I did a truncated WU of:
1600m C2 row in 7:55 and some burgner stuff. My WOD was:

21-15-9
#95 push press
ring dips
push ups

finished in 20:17
Probably would have completed in 18:00 or so but I was accosted by a guy wanting to know what the deal was with the rings....I don't think time spent proselytizing CF should count against a WOD time ;0
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #702
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

oh, oh I forgot. I collared the manager of the gym today and asked him if they would host a level I cert. He told me to have CFHQ send him a package. Now I have something to do besides keep house, chase younguns and work as arm candy for the missus.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #703
Christin Street

Profile:

In three months I can officially sign in to this thread. Ugh. Actually I'm not sure if I want to, since you all are pretty bad-***, hardcore. Nice work! Keep it up.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #704
Charles Pyke

Profile:

2009 04 23

Today’s WOD: “The Filthy Fifties” or as in my case today, “The Filthy Fifties Minus 92”

Won’t say I am having a bad day, but I have had a couple irritating things happen and it’s not even lunch time yet. Worst of all, I’m doing it to myself. Got to squadron PT and realized, when I opened the trunk of the car to get my gym bag, that I had left my uniform hanging in the closet at home. Okay fine. Just had to endure some good natured ribbing from some folks and then drive home. When I got home, I decided that while I am there, I might as well knock out the daily WOD. I’ll come back to that in a bit. Then afterwards, while driving back to work and past the half way point, I realized that I had left my uniform hat in the gym bag, which I had brought in from the car and deposited in the closet. Got to work and had to sneak into the building without my hat (if you’ve never been in the military, the hat is a must have). I have decided it will probably be safer for me to hide behind my desk for the rest of the day.

Now about today’s WOD. Originally, I had decided to scale the reps to 35 per set. Then while setting up the garage gym, I decided that I should “man up” and do the RX’d 50 reps. Bad move and I blame it on my own fuzzy logic and ego as influenced by a sudden testosterone surge. Dropped my IQ by at least 50 points .

Anyway here’s how the WOD went with approx split times. Also, my game plan was to do everything in groups of 10 and then take a 15 second rest. For the most part this tactic worked well. I out performed this on a few things like KB swings, push press, and back extension and took longer rests on the wall ball shots.

50 Box jumps, 24 inch box – as RX’d , 4:32.1
50 Jumping pull ups – as RX’d, 4:11.2
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood – scaled/sub’d 35 lb DB, 3:43.4
50 Steps, walking lunge – as RX’d, 2:46.5
50 Knees to elbows – sub’d reverse crunches, can’t do KTE’s – 3:12.5
50 Push press, 45 lbs – as RX’d, 2:50.9
50 Back extensions – used bench press bench and hooked feet on squat rack, 2:14.1
50 Wall ball shots, 20lb ball – scaled to 10 lb ball, 4:01.1
This is where I started to die. I had to take some longer rests. Then I took a bigger rest (1:28.8) and started on the Burpees. Did 5 and rested 20 sec, then tried some more. Completed 3 more and found that getting up off the floor was next to impossible, so I terminated the WOD.
Should have stayed with my original plan to scale the whole thing to 35 reps!!!!

Still, there must be -
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #705
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
In three months I can officially sign in to this thread. Ugh. Actually I'm not sure if I want to, since you all are pretty bad-***, hardcore. Nice work! Keep it up.
Don’t worry Christin…once you are over the hill you will pick up speed from here.
I see your are going to an affiliate now? It rock’s doesn’t it.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #706
Charles Pyke

Profile:

Found this on another post and had to share it:

Burpees are misnamed. They should be called Pain Filled Soul Suckers
Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #707
Mark Ervi

Profile:

Terry-
Thanks for posting that Journal article. I had never read it. I enjoyed it, and it is one more thing keeping me motivated.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #708
Charles Pyke

Profile:

Terry,

Read the article. Loved the last line of the inset: "If you are in your mid- to late-40s and above and you wake up and something does not hurt you, you are probably dead. Or not trying hard enough." Amen to that, but things have definately gotten much, much better.

Scott,

Make sure that mojo adhesive is extra strength or I'll have to wear Depends. It's not pretty. Where did you find those Chucks for your wife. My wife has expressed an interest in getting a pair for her weight lifting.

Christin,

Ditto what Terry said. Plus, you'll realize those creaking and popping noise are coming from you. And you'll have to change your avatar. If the wife sees that, she'll ban me from CrossFit. Maybe try wearing a burka? (kidding)
Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #709
Diane Dennis

Profile:

04/23/09 - 6AM - outdoors

A beginner worked out with us on the North Shore today so I added a backpack filled with soft dumb bells.

WU (me only):
1/2 leg of Park to Park Steps Run (PNC Park to Heinz Field - 1/2 leg is just under 1 mi with 421 steps) - did it with the backpack - reminded me of what it was like to run when I was heavy.

Pre WOD:
Several progressions of various exercises - elbow plank, push-ups (EXTREMELY hard with back pack), face-smashers, lunges

WOD:
3x21
PFSS (see Charlies post #706)
pop squats
jumping jacks

Nearly died during round 2 and had to take the backpack off. Still nearly died with it off.

Christin - Can't wait until you post on here - You will force me to work twice as hard just to look half as good.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #710
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

Charlie,
Try http://www.converse.com (wfs) they have a design your own button at the bottom somewhere...the ones I ordered came straight from China. Don't we make anything in the US anymore...besides planes and tanks I mean?

Christin, Welcome. You just partially validated what we've been discussing; requesting our own forum. I do, much like Terry, agree that this thread is more, umm... intimate (for lack of a better term). But I think we'd draw a bigger over 50 crowd with a forum all our own.

My 5 year old, Maggie, insists that I use this pink icon...