CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

Has anyone read this: http://nosdiet.com/
(work/family safe)

What do you think? While it clearly isn't as ideal as some other premium diets...how about for regular people? While it doesn't really say you are limited to 3 meals/day...that is likely the expectation. Would that cause a lower metabolism than the same number of calories spread out over 5/6 meals?

Just seeing what people think, thanks...

howard
Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I like it. Nice and simple. Cutting out the sugar, crap and excess calories is definitely the most important step. Once you master that then you can look to tweak and improve
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Certainly seems like a great approach for the general population who need to get their eating habbits under control.

For anyone who is working out regularly I'd be worried that their intake could be too low. And for those who don't work out, their intake could easily be too high. I have seen my father load some pretty hefty amounts of food onto his dinner plate regardless of seconds.

There is also no mention of fat intake which could be dangerous for some people with poor eating habbits.

Good eating isn't rocket science, but I think it definitley requires more guidance than this. Still, it's much better than what the general population eats right now.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
People know what they shouldnt eat....just ask them...but the lack of personal responsibility is the main culprit.

Although too much information is out in the public nowadays just to confuse them even more...which diet...which exerice....we need less little gimicks and more straight truths.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks folks.

He does talk about "vertical stacking" and other methods of cheating (whether on the main page or somewhere in his forums). I like his emphasis on self-control. I also like the idea of not thinking about next meal every two hours.

The lack of protein could be an issue for weight training people...OTOH, I'm not sure about the science behind 1gr/lb bodyweight either??

I also know that if I ate a large plate of spaghetti everynight, I would be a blimp. So, I would have to make sure the protein and carbs are more balanced.

Then again, perhaps it's the second bowl/plate of 'sketty' that has historically done me in. :biggrin:

As an aside, it sounds like he finally got a book deal...which I'm sure he finds bizarre as the main page has everything needed. But I guess having displays in Borders/B&N/etc would expose it to lots of people who wouldn't otherwise see it.

howard
Old 03-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Bob Long

Profile:
I use this plan cause, well, I'm lazy and too mentally dense to understand the zone-paleo-whatever stuff. I like the simplicity. No sweets: eliminates most junky things I usually am eating. No snacks: eliminates most junky things I usually am eating. No seconds: makes you aware of how important the meals you are eating are so you eat the right things. I did increase the meals from three to four per day. The other "s" in the diet plan is "except on days that start with "s"", meaning weekends or "special day" (holidays, birthdays, eat.) This allows me to have days where I am not too concerned about eating "clean". Does it work? I'm down 6 pounds since January. It is because of this plan? I don't know, but I do know I don't crave sweets, junk foods, chips, cookies, etc. hardly anytime any more. This plan is simple, and for guys like me who don't have Mike O'Donnell's admirable will (or won't) power, it provides a way of being conscious of what you're eating. I don't think I could go the rest of my life weighing and measuring everything I eat. No sweets, no snacks, no seconds. Works for me.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"guys like me who don't have Mike O'Donnell's admirable will (or won't) power"

Not so much will power Bob...as i am human to beer and wings...but really once you can understand how food is really either fuel to help build a healthy body...or something that will take your health in the other direction. Once you can get that understanding and view the food in a different way...you really wont crave what you know is bad for your health. #1 enemy would be sugar...start there...I call it "legal crack"...because of it's addictiveness....but it is not our friend.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I checked out the page. It's nice and simple, and has sugar avoidance as one of its pillars. Many people would do very well with this type of gameplan.

He's got some before and "during" pics posted (he doesn't like the term "after" meaning you're done with the diet) and, if they're really him, he's had a really good transformation.