CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Drew Raymond

Profile:
Hello all I have a question. I have just been granted an affiliateship here in Baton Rouge, LA and am working through the business model. My question is how do the existing affiliates track their members on a day to day basis. I have been thinking about Membership cards or will we be able to track them by sight. Take into consideration I will not be their every waking moment so different trainers will see different people. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Drew
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Here are a couple of methods.

Computer access with Microsoft Excel.

Set up a computer that everyone has access to (can be old and rusty or brand new (your choice), just needs to be on and running with Excel, you don't even need it hooked up to the internet). Use the PR worksheet (I have added many workouts and things from that base worksheet) from the FAQ and have people insert their times into an Excel workbook, they could have their own worksheet or workbook if you like. Would not take up much disk space if you gave each person their own workbook.

If you are adventurous you could try using Access, but I find it a pain in the rear and the database for all the WODS + lifts with many people would be rather big.

Or for a cheaper version, get a filing box, make a file with everyone's name, their own piece of paper with a PR sheet, and the trainers and/or the trainee can use it as a reference each time they do a WOD or a lift.

I am not an affiliate, just a joe-crossfitter but hope to start my own gym in the next 5 years when I get out of the Air Force, so I'm planning early.

Hope these ideas help!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I think Drew's asking how to identify who's actually a member.

To your question, I don't really have an answer, but a simple membership card with a unique number on it would probably suffice if you've got multiple trainers who can't always know every person.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Joe Lain

Profile:
Re: Tracking members

Where is the Baton Rouge CF located?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Jonathan Cain

Profile:

Im working on opening a gym up in Monroe, and what im planning on using is a key card entry for members. Once they are in the facility they can go to the classes, or do there own routine if there isnt a class going on right then. The software tracks them as they enter.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Leah Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Cain View Post
Im working on opening a gym up in Monroe, and what im planning on using is a key card entry for members. Once they are in the facility they can go to the classes, or do there own routine if there isnt a class going on right then. The software tracks them as they enter.
May I ask how much such software and all that costs?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Joe Lain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Cain View Post
Is Monroe, LA about 4 hrs form Baton Rouge?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Jessica Neal

Profile:

We opened as a diverse training facility with many class options and personal training. We have started with a simple punch card that is purchased every month. They may purchase a 2X a week access/month or month membership card. The card expires 30 days from the date of purchase.
Before every class or session, the trainers pull the members card and punch it. This way, they can check expiration and collect dues as needed. We also ask that members sign in once they enter the building.

We will outgrow this, especially as we build our CrossFit section, but it has worked well for the first few months. I anticipate that we will need software and a computer system.

Any advice from others for tracking with a computer system is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Hmm, I posted but it didn't take or got deleted. Let's try again.

I actually wrote the software we use to track members. We take a waiver (no waiver, no workout) enter the data from that into our clients log (web based form) then from there we can push the client data into the athleticslog which has our class roll system, which is tied back to our billing system. If there is interest I can look into opening up some of the client tracking tools to CF affiliates. I'd have to build out a facility key, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Leila Terrado

Profile:

Hey Roger,
This is CrossFit Vallejo...still have to take you up on the offer to come on down. Just been up to my head trying to get everything together so that we can open. Right now we're stuck at permitting, so when can we come down? Also, I would love to see what you have come up with to track your members. Talk soon.

Ly