CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-03-2003, 05:45 AM   #1
Dave Campbell

Profile:
As I was doing the 1K row,5 singles squat WOD, I thought about the 20 rep squat. I used to do them and found them to be an incredible workout. Pick as heavy a weight as possible and knock out 20 back squats in 1 set. Pick the right weight and you're ready to rack the bar at 10 reps. Take as many deep breaths as possible and keep pushing in mini sets of 3,2, then 1 until you get 20. Everything from your lower back down to your calves are smoked and you're breathing like you sprinted 800 meters. That and a couple of rope climbs and Pukie would probably show up. It seems like the 20 rep squat could easily fit into Crossfit; any opinions?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:10 AM   #2
Nick Martinez

Profile:
I recall a particular WOD that included 21 reps for back squat at 135 combined with 500 metre rows. Although I definitely could have done more weight, I know what you mean about the high rep squat and agree with you

Nick
Old 06-03-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Yeah, I've done that workout about twice in my life . . . once to do it, and once later in order NOT to have to admit to only doing it once.

Twice was enough, thank you.

I always heard the direction as: "Pick a weight you can do 10 times, and then do 20". Very, very tough. . . my hat's off to you if you did them regularly.

Personally, I hope we *don't* see it in the WOD anytime soon.

Dave Wood
Old 06-03-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Terry MILLER

Profile:
I routinely do a 20 rep squat workout, once every (3) weeks. I have slowly worked up to the 300 lbs for 20 rep standard. The workout tends to be brutal, and the soreness experienced a couple of days later is also brutal (for myself, it usually is worse then after a bout of tabata squats). I have had a cambered squating bar made specifically for these 20 rep squat workouts, which is based on the specs provided in the book "Super Squats". I find that a straight bar causes too much pain in my wrist, while holding onto the bar for the length of time to complete the set.

Regards,

Terry
Old 06-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
20 rep squats, at 10 RM weight... only at crossfit would you find folks this crazy. Needless to say... I gotta try it. :-)

Old 06-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Try wrist wraps if you can find them (Powerlifting style) for your squats. Careful with a cambered bar, as it tends to throw you forward unless you have stubby tyrannosaurus limbs.

YMMV
Old 06-04-2003, 05:34 AM   #7
Terry MILLER

Profile:
The cambered bar is a different beast then a straight bar and when I initially started using it, I found that my lower back took a beating with it. However after using it for a year, I've got the grove with it and prefer it over a straight bar for all my squating. The bar, because of it's thickness, doesn't have the life of an Oly bar, and that too has an impact on the amount of weight that can be used when squating.

Not shaped like T-Rex, and unfortunately don't have the leverage to be a good squater, long limbs, arms and legs, and a short torso, which causes significant forward lean. Despite the disadvantage, the cambered bar has made squating more "enjoyable". That is if you consider having Pukie acting as your spotter enjoyable.

Regards,

Terry