CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-04-2003, 04:23 AM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
i used to able to crank off 22 pull-ups no problem after following crossfit for about 4 months. in the last few months this number has declined to around 16! what gives?

any comments/ideas?

thanks.

scott
Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-
This stuff cycles all the time... my PU max can vary +- 10 reps depending upon rest, nutrition and what not. Also did you not just come off of
an injury/illness?
Robb
Old 06-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Ross Burke

Profile:
Why don't you just do a few not to failure sets of pullups after each workout if you really want to improve on them? Right now I'm doing a similar thing with neck bridges and power snatches to overhead squats.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
i was sick as hell a few months ago but have pretty much made a full recovery (at least i thought so!) i'm also curious if stress plays a part in this as well. in the last month my world has changed completely since i'm going back to school and also getting my emt certification. probably has something to do with it.

it's wierd because before i felt like i could bend a barbell in half, and now i just feel like there is something holding me back.

also (sorry about the long rant), how the heck are you guys deadlifting so much? i can barely do a little more than my body weight when i do sumo deadlifts. is it possible to lift more when doing regular deadlifts? i'm almost certain that i was regular deadlifting as much as i could bench (220 - don't laugh!), but when i do sumos it's a lot less.

thanks for all your replies so far!

scott
Old 06-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

Stress will take the starch out-a-yer britches pretty quick. Sleep, nutrition, hot/cold alternating showers, an adaptogen like Rhodiola can all be helpfull. Making sure you feel like you are "on top" of the stress is amazingly helpfull...whether you really are or not!

Regarding the Sumo DL's how tall are you Scott? Generally taller (>6') do better with the sumo but it is dependant upon quite a number of factors. I have noticed that if ones lower back is weak sumo is easier. If you could somehow post some photos of your form from start, finish, front and side we may be able to some tinkering. Are you REALLY driving through the heels? I suspect with a bit of tweaking you will be loading another wagon wheel on each side of the bar in no time. Let us know.
Robb
Old 06-05-2003, 07:01 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
robert,

thanks for all the advice!

to answer your question i'm 6'2". i'll see what i can do about the photos!

thanks!

scott
Old 06-06-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Robert,
I have read promising studies with Rhodiola... although, as is the case with many supplements, it might be tough to find a "quality" manufacturer. If you know of one (reputable manufacturer), would you post the info?

Incidentally, have you heard anything about Cordyceps as an adaptogen?

Thanks!
Brad
Old 06-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Brad-

Cordyceps is INCREDIBLE. Eclectic Institute and Paradise Herbs are both great sources ( paradise is unique in that they finger print their extracts...same profile of constituents but highloy concentrated). Rhodiola is a bit of a new kid. I actually got about a month supply from a woman who does inport/export from russia. I am not sure of a consistent source right now. NewChapter I think might have a supercritical extract. Let me know what you think!
Robb
Old 06-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Did cordyceps really do that much for you?

I tried it and felt zilch, nada, nothing . . . no perceivable difference in how I felt, my workouts, nothing.

Can't remember the brand, although I got it from an herbalist I work with a lot, and who has seldom steered me wrong.

Maybe I should give it another whirl . . .

Dave
Old 06-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-
I took about 10x the label recomendation for Eclectics cordyceps. It becomes very expensive very quickly.
Robb