CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Saved enough pennies to finally order a Concept2 rower (thanks to all of your advice). I'm excited to say the least!! Any quick advice on technique would be great... for example, drive with the hips, keep back straight, etc. etc.

Thanks again everyone!

Brad
Old 05-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
Congratulations Brad

It helps me to think of the row pull as a clean, that is finish driving with your legs before pulling with your arms. Doing the reverse in the recovery is important also.

So for the recovery from the finish position of a stroke - first straighten your arms, then swing upper body forward from the hips to reach a comfortable forward leaning position. THEN bend your knees and slide into the catch position, upper body shouldn't change position much at all.

At first row slowly until you can integrate it all into a smooth flowing stroke and recovery.

This explanation was stolen from CII, more discussion and a video can be found at www.concept2.com under "technique"

Have fun

Dave
Old 05-13-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Thanks David, just what I was looking for.
Brad
Old 05-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
I have a question about the resistance setting on the Concept 2 rowers. I'm honestly having a difficult time telling which number gives a higher resistance--1 or 10? As I go down from 10 to 1 on the resistance, I notice that more of the fan of the rower is closed off, which should make it harder to row (the air wouldn't be moving through as fast). At least that's my theory--is that correct?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
Chris Doughty

Profile:

I was thinking they worked the other way - more air moved = more work done so "10" is the hardest. Anyone know for sure?

Chris
Old 05-14-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
David Werner

Profile:
Here is what C2 says about damper settings.

"Where is the damper set during races? Is there a damper setting where I will perform best?
There is no required damper setting for races or time trials on the Concept 2 Indoor Rower. You are free to choose the setting you prefer so long as you do not change it once you have started to row.
Preferred damper setting is highly subjective, depending on body type, conditioning level, and rowing style. Our surveys of top finishers at the CRASH-B Sprints indicate most excel at the low to mid range damper settings (between 1 and 6). Suggestion: once per week for one month do a 2000 meter time trial at race pace. On week one, set the damper at 2, for week 2, set it at 4 and so on. Pick the damper setting that allows you to perform best.
The electronic monitor on the Concept 2 Indoor Rower is not simply a revolution or speed counter: it measures rate of acceleration, max. speed, and rate of deceleration of the flywheel on each stroke and recalibrates between strokes. Therefore it calculates power produced/distance rowed precisely regardless of damper setting. Hence competitors are able to choose a damper setting according to their personal preference."

They don't metion damper settings at all in their workout manual, this is from the FAQs. It doesn't seem to be very important.

Dave