CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
Terry MILLER

Profile:
Coach,

Any chance you might be able to post a video clip of a muscle-up being performed on a chin bar. I don't have access to rings, however I do have access to a chin bar that would be suitable for muscle-ups if my body was willing.

Regards,

Terry

Old 05-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
Geoff Sample

Profile:

An old post on the "equipment" part of the board discussed how one individual made his own rings out of marine plywood. I took inspiration from this, as I'm a cheapskate in the truest sense.

I went to home depot and splurged on four 3/4" plywood rounds, some woodworking epoxy (dries harder than the wood itself), some sandpaper, and some weather sealant. I glued the plywood together so that I now had two 1.5" rounds. I used 2.5 and 5 lb plates as a template (couldn't find a compass), and used a jigsaw to cut out the rings. I used a hasp bit and my hand drill to work the wood into what my wife called: "Flintstone-looking" rings. Then I went to work with the sandpaper, and rounded, smoothed...

Now I use them all the time. I can hook them up to my pullup bar inside, or to my tree outside. Someday, I might buy real rings, but for now, I have less than $13 invested in some beautiful (to me) equipment.

There is no comparison. The chinup bar is great for a lot of things. Rings are indespensible for others in my humble opinion.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
terry-

i do muscle-ups on a chin-up bar because i don't have access to rings.

the bar at my gym is freestanding, so i usually put a couple of heavy dumbells on the bottom so there isn't a chance of tipping the thing over.

i've noticed tht the false grip on the bar is a little different than the one you would use on the rings. you sort of just drape your wrists or the heels of your hands over the bar. and keep your hands closer together. i have found this to make it a little easier.

be careful when transitioning from the pull-up into the dip, because you're going to have to sort of go out and over the bar. my gym's bar has a weld right in the middle of the bar, and the first few times i did a muscle-up on it, i got some nice scrapes on my chest from this weld. this isn't a problem on the rings.

one thing i did was practice at home trying muscle-ups on a sturdy door before i went to the gym and tried it for real. just a suggestion.

good luck!

scott