CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Nicholas Pickford

Profile:
Question New to CrossFit...question

I've recently started CrossFit during my deployment to Iraq. I've been completing the WODs for the last few weeks and am very excited to continue the program. I'm not new to physical fitness and typically run long distances and make frequent visits to the gym. However, I am inexperienced with many of the olympic lifts that seem to be a daily part of CrossFit. I've been lessening my loads until I can master the form to lifts such as the clean, jerk, power clean, etc. I work my way through each of these as they are listed in the WOD, but I have had one general concern. All the olympic lifts seem to work my shoulders extensively. I feel like the WODs continue to include these lifts and that my shoulders are constantly being broken down with no time to recover. The squat clean and jerk workout (080706) left my shoulders extreemly sore last night, a more throbbing and painful sore than I'm used to from typical lifting. So my questions are:

Is this typical and attributed to my just beginning cross fit and these types of lifts or is there likely something wrong with my form? Are these lifts supposed to be so intensive on the shoulders day in and day out or is it possible I am using my shoulders too much in the lifts? Are olympic lifts typical in most of the WODs or has this just been the case since I've started (10 days ago).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1LT Nichoals Pickford
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: New to CrossFit...question

I hear ya. Unless it flat our hurts, bear with it. You've jumped in during a tidal wave. The nature of the WOD will likely leave you in a completely different painstorm in a couple weeks. Your shoulders will go from being a weak point to a strong point, and you'll find a whole new weak point. This is the beauty of the the whole thing!

Of course, if your shoulders are in PAIN, you should take action to keep them healthy. Ice, ibuprofen, and rest = good. Massage and active recovery are great.

I've gone through shoulder pain/surgery so I'm a little sensitive in that area. If they're bugging me, I'll avoid dips and a few other exercises, and take great care in warming them up and running them through their range of motion before working 'em.

Check out some of the CF archives to see old workouts, and you'll see that while shoulders are always going to be an important part of the WOD, there are other times that kill your legs, others that attack your back, etc.

CF archives, by month (on the right side of the window, link WFS): http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/2008_07.html
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

You jumped in during the ramp up to the CrossFit Games. I've never been more destroyed in the last year plus that I've been doing CF than this last week as far as strength work, especially in my shoulders. I guess you just got the (un)lucky draw of when you started. Rest today and hope tomorrow involves no shoulders.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I've been on vacation, but every day when I'd check the main page in the last week, I'd kind of snicker "those poor f**ckers" Stick with the light weights for a while with the oly lifts, even if you think your form is good. Make sure you get warmed up properly -- try some shoulder dislocations, pull-ups, and all of that good stuff if the shoulders specifically are a problem.

If it's just soreness that won't go away, take a rest day or two (I know over there you don't get real "rest days" like we do here, but do what you can). If it's actual pain, STOP. Don't risk injuring yourself while you're over there.

There are quite a few folks deployed to Iraq doing the WODs though, so maybe you can hook up with them and critique form and give firm pats on the butt and such

But like the others said, this last week has been really nasty. Don't overdo it and it sounds like you should be able to recover and get back into things.

Thanks for your service, and good luck
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
I've been on vacation, but every day when I'd check the main page in the last week, I'd kind of snicker "those poor f**ckers" Stick with the light weights for a while with the oly lifts, even if you think your form is good. Make sure you get warmed up properly -- try some shoulder dislocations, pull-ups, and all of that good stuff if the shoulders specifically are a problem.

If it's just soreness that won't go away, take a rest day or two (I know over there you don't get real "rest days" like we do here, but do what you can). If it's actual pain, STOP. Don't risk injuring yourself while you're over there.

There are quite a few folks deployed to Iraq doing the WODs though, so maybe you can hook up with them and critique form and give firm pats on the butt and such

But like the others said, this last week has been really nasty. Don't overdo it and it sounds like you should be able to recover and get back into things.

Thanks for your service, and good luck
Freudian slip?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
lisa taylor

Profile:

What neck of the woods are you in? There's a couple folks on Slayer doing the WOD, and the gym is pretty tollerant of the goofy stuff we get up to....

Sometimes I think the staff consider us good entertainment.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Freudian slip?
When you take PVC and, starting from a hang position, move it vertically over your head around your back without letting go.

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/ (w/f/s -- comments may not be; language)

Not literally dislocating the shoulder
Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
When you take PVC and, starting from a hang position, move it vertically over your head around your back without letting go.

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/ (w/f/s -- comments may not be; language)

Not literally dislocating the shoulder
HA! Wow! Thought they were rotations!