CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Lin Vinson

Profile:
My zone progress

Hello all, I have been working out with crossfit for 4 weeks now and have been off and on the zone. I am male, 39 years old and now weigh 219 lbs with about 30% body fat (according to my tanita scale). I have lost 10 lbs since starting the program. To maximize my performance and weight loss I am going to dedicate myself to strict zone eating and I wanted to get feedback from the community on my diet.

I am eating 17 blocks a day and just started supplementing with 2 tbsp fish oil daily (one in the morning and one in the evening).

Snack - 1 block
1 oz deli turkey
1/2 orange
3 g walnuts

Breakfast - 4 blocks
6 egg whites
1 oz ham
1 1/4 cups green peppers
1/2 cantaloupe
1 peach
18 g walnuts (more than usual to take into account no fat in the egg whites)

Lunch - 5 blocks
5 oz grilled chicken
1 1/4 cups broccoli
1 cup green beans
12 asparagus spears
1 nectarine
15 almonds

Snack - 2 blocks
2 oz deli turkey
1 cups grapes
5 g walnuts

Dinner - 4 blocks
4 oz grilled chicken
1 1/4 cup yellow squash
1 1/4 cup broccoli
3/4 cup snow peas
1 peach
1 1/3 tsp olive oil

Snack - 1 block
1 oz grilled chicken
1/2 orange
3 almonds

Am I making any obvious mistakes? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lin
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: My zone progress

Looks delicious
Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:

Lin,

Good job. I didn't study them very closely, but your meals appear to all be a solid 5 blocks for the most part. Your lean body mass should be about 154 Lbs according to my calculations. Using .7 at the low end of the activity scale (just for the sake of using a number here) puts you at about 16 blocks per day, so you are pretty close. You seem to have a pretty good meal plan set up at the moment. Otherwise, it looks as though you are right on track and doing all the right things to lose weight and gain fitness. See how it works and tweak it accordingly.

The one thing I would caution you about though is your BF calculations using the Tanita scale. Those things are good for body weight measurement and pretty much worthless for BF measurements. We bought one years ago and our numbers were all over the board (A doctor finally explained the reason why). They operate by way of passing an electrical current through the body to asses your body fat. Water, or lack thereof, in the body can make those numbers fluctuate pretty heavily. Hydration plays a role in the numbers when using electrical impedence to measure bodyfat. If you take your measurements at random times throughout the day, it will fluctuate. If you do it the same time every day, like right after waking up, it may stay more consistent. Still I wouldn't call it gospel.

My advice to you would be to conduct the measurements as described inthe Zone books and/or have someone who knows what they are doing conduct a BF test for you. You may be lower than you thought. You can buy skin fold calipers at most Max Muscle type places for cheap and do it yourself as well. Good luck and keep up the hard work. It gets easier as you get accustomed to the diet and see the results.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

They look good and healthy to me! I really like how you have a little bit of everything in your day.