CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
anybody have any scholarly journals/scientific articles on the negative effects of gluten in the diet? I cant seem to dig anything up.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
To a greater or lesser degree, we are all reactive to gluten.

When you remove it from your diet you will drop some weight and you will feel sharper mentally.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=celiac

Robb Wolf is the guy on this. I live with a celiac so our home is 99% gluten free.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Charlie,

Are you looking for things on celiac? That is the diagnosable (sp?) condition where people can't eat gluten (I have it and so does my son, Sam). Or are you looking for information on gluten issues in the general population?

Rutman is right - Robb Wolf is the person to go straight to for this question. But I can help on celiac articles and on living as a celiac.

Write me privately if you think I can help. I haven't been on the boards regularly lately. Been busy starting Crossfit Boulder Creek!

Beth
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Hi Charlie

My sister suffers from Autoimmune disease. If you have a look at pubmed there a number of studies linking gluten intolerance to autoimmune problems at levels below those that are normally diagnosed as celiac disease. I intend to agree with Michael. Whenever I sharply reduce my wheat intake a number of lingering issues ( sinusitis, mild GI distress) either reduce or clear up. Now if only I had the will power to cut out whet and other gluten conatining grains entirely.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Not particularly looking for stuff on celiacs, although i wouldnt mind doing some reading on that too. I seem to do alright on gluten, but i've heard some stuff about gluten AND dairy causing intestinal leaking and also causing some enzymatic problems. Paul Chek said that if you are allergic to dairy, you are probably somewhat allergic to gluten as well. He also mentioned how gluten and dairy have a habit of burning off the microvilli in the digestive tract/Destroying enzyme pools so it doesnt get digested (resulting in bloating and a host of other issues). I dont know how true this is but i want to read up on it. I have recently cut WAY back on dairy and it has done me a lot of good, now i want to research and experiment with removing gluten from my diet.

I'm more looking for stuff on the general population, but celiac stuff would be good too.

For those that do have a low or no-gluten diet-

-Do you still eat bread (like rice bread?)

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I found for both me and my son, that removing gluten allows us to eat dairy occasionally without trouble. I have more trouble than he does. In fact, he could eat it all day without trouble.

We do eat rice bread and other grains that are gluten free but I eat much less then he does. I don't like the substitutes much and feel I get better nutrition when I use vegetables and fruits for my carb sources.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I have experienced with the paleo diet and i found that in college it is hard to get all my carbs from fruits and vegetables, however i can make an effort to eliminate a lot of the gluten and getting most of my carbs from vegetables and fruits. I would still like to do some more reading on gluten though, i think there is definitely a connection with gluten and dairy. Taking my dairy intake way down has helped me a lot, so i'm assuming (with the help of my nancy drew detective skills) that limiting gluten might also be a wise decision.