CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Gerald Weiss

Profile:  
Or even in such a facility-- are running portions done on a treadmill? How does that work with 15 people all working out at the same time, with a 'for time' element? What about workouts such as 'Linda'-- need benches for everyone?

I guess in a nutshell my question is how to coordinate the various parts of the workout.

There's no CF facility conveniently nearby-- I'm trying to make do with the college weight room I've been working out at for the last several years, but the whole timing thing is screwing me up. First there's the need for bench/cage availability. Then there's the running aspect-- the track is approx a quarter of a mile from the weight room-- not a problem wrt to getting there, but the distances get screwed up.

I tried searching for a relevant thread but found nothing. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Hey Gerald, first off...welcome.

The workout locations CF'ers use is as varied as the workouts themselves. I would guess that the vast majority of us do not have access to a pure CF facility. You can still get the "flavor" without being exact.

Running- If there's a t-mill nearby the weights or pullup bar then I'd use it. Most runs that occur within a WOD are 400m to 800m. Running half way to the track and back would be a good sub for a 400, and running all the way to the track and back would be your 800.

Benches- These actually don't come up often. Linda and Lynne are the two you'll see most often. I work out in my basement w/o a bench or rack. The barbell just sits on the ground...waiting for me. For bench I sub weighted dips or weighted pushups, or clapping pushups.

FWIW, I have a pullup/dip station, a barbell, homemade med ball, homemade 20" box, a few DB's, jump rope and one side of my basement has a door leading outside to my yard. I crank out the pu's or weights, then bolt out the door and race to a manhole 200m away, 400m away or 1/2 mi. away (and back of course). I figure I get about 75% of the WOD's done pretty close to rx'd, then improvise the rest.

Yes, you will look like a freak as you do this stuff :-)
Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Kent Sewell

Profile:
I also workout in a college gym and there's no way I can run and combine it with the WOD's when it is prescribed unless I specifically do the workout on a track either on campus or in a park with dumbbells I bring myself.

Instead of running, I do burpees or dumbbell swings for time.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
We're very lucky to own an oly bar and some weights (2x 45, 35, 25, 10, 5). We just throw them into the truck and take it to the track. Yes we get some strange looks from the blue-hairs though they've come to love us. I know we didn't spend more than $100 for that stuff used.

Per William's point about looking like a freak, story time...The rings we use are at the end of a fitness trail at a nature park, ~2 miles from the start. We recently carried our stuff in to do a day of ring dips/squat cleans. To facilitate this I tied my climbing rope around the 45s and threw them over my back, my son followed with the bar adn our bag. Modestly difficult on the way out, very difficult on the way back. But the looks we got from teh dog walkers made it all worthwhile.