CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Pedro Farah

Profile:
Clean Form Check

Hi, I would love to get some pointers on my form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEmWYXZh9E (wfs)

This is my first attempt at a 1x bodyweight clean. It is 165 lbs and my personal best is 145 lbs. This is not my best form, but it representes well the problems I run into when tryin to clean more than 145. I feel I should be able to get this already - the bar seems to fly high enough... Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Clean Form Check

Do you have a video of a heavy successful clean? There are obviously things going wrong here that we can help with but we can give you better advice if we can see what it looks like when the whole thing doesn't fall apart. Info on your lifts might also be helpful (how much do you front squat?).
Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:

Although it's somewhat difficult to critique from the front view you provided, I do see a couple things you need to work on.

First, your hips are rising faster than your shoulders, this is a no-no. Sit your butt down and push with your legs. This leads me to error #2 - you're jerking the bar off the ground, not smoothly. Set your back, and use your legs and hips like you're pushing the ground away from you. You don't really set your back from what I can see, so you need to work on that.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Here's a better view of a successful clean (135#):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hxfKwGyCZ4 (wfs)

Some of my current 1RMs:

Back Squat - 220 lbs (belted)
Front Squat - 190 lbs (belted)
Deadlift - 250 lbs (belted)
Bench - 155 lbs
Press - 115 lbs

Thanks!

Edit
PS: Although I'm aiming for a 165# clean, my body weight is actually in the range of 160 lbs, at 6'1.

Last edited by Pedro Farah : 06-25-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Andrew Emory

Profile:

I think these are your two main problems.

1. It looks like your applying your strength through your toes. You need to dive through your heals to properly utilize your posterior chain.

2. You have an early arm bend. You star pulling with arms before you explode with your hips. The power is supposed to come from your hips. Therefore you are not efficiently transferring your power from its source to the bar. Another way of saying this is that your kinetic chain breaks down.

What someone mentioned earlier about your hips rising faster than your shoulders is related to all this stuff.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Emory View Post
I think these are your two main problems.

1. It looks like your applying your strength through your toes. You need to dive through your heals to properly utilize your posterior chain.

2. You have an early arm bend. You star pulling with arms before you explode with your hips. The power is supposed to come from your hips. Therefore you are not efficiently transferring your power from its source to the bar. Another way of saying this is that your kinetic chain breaks down.

What someone mentioned earlier about your hips rising faster than your shoulders is related to all this stuff.
This. And think of your arms as simply chains to connect to the weight, not something to actively pull on the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdWrZ...e_gdata_player. Wfs
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I agree with early arm bend and weight in toes comments.

The weight seems too far forward throughout. If you're comfortable receiving the bar a couple inches back in your front rack, this will help keep the weight on your heels, and you'll have a better squat and stand-up.

To get the bar back you need full extension, leaning back, pulling the bar to you. That's another way of saying you to get rid of the early arm bend.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, I can see now the early arm bend and how I'm driving through my toes instead of my heels.

Christopher, that's about as upright as I can front squat, I know it's causing me efficiency problems... Do you have any mobility exercise recommendations to improve that posture?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Just "Chris" is good, thanks.

If you feel that your front squat is inefficient, then go down in weight and do more reps with perfect form. How light do you have to go before your form cleans up? Some people have to go right back to air squat. Work that good form into your muscle memory and then work back up in weight. This will take time.

My comment, however, wasn't about your stand up. It was about how your receive the bar. If the bar path is too vertical, you'll receive the bar in a poor front rack with chest dropping, and the weight will be in your toes. If you can bring the bar path back a little more, onto your deltoids or collar bone, with even a slight choke on the trachea - this will put the weight in your heels and encourage you to keep your chest up.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

All of what they said above about too early and driving with the heels...

Also, you need to whip your arms around faster to get under the bar. Working the "Scarecrow" clean will help with this third pull. Also, working pause cleans and high hang cleans with 50-70% of 1rm will help. Do all of these with perfect form, lower weights if necessary to achieve this. Finally, of course, getting stronger in your other lifts will help.

I see you are at a box, so also ask your coaches there to watch your form and critique it.