CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Matt Rigney

Profile:
Unathleticism & Dynamic Lifts

Ok, guys. I've posted some videos of a friend here before to get feedback. He more or less refuses to go get coaching, so I try to take a look at his lifts for him on occasion and point out anything glaring I see. He sent me this video today of him doing a WOD from competitorstraining.com (WFS). It's a PC/FS/Jerk complex EMOM. He's doing it at 105#. This shouldn't be a heavy weight for him. He back squats 300, front squats 245, presses 135-140.

As soon as you put a dynamic movement in front of him, it looks awful. Cleans (extremely early elbow bend, lacking full extension on the 2nd pull, dropping into a half squat unnecessarily), snatches, jerks. You can see in this video that he just looks....bad. I'm not sure why he has so many problems jerking 105# since he presses significantly more than that. I feel like there are so many things to correct that I don't know the best place to tell him to start (besides continuing to insist that he go get a few 1-on-1 sessions with a USAW certified coach). What advice would you give based on the video (link below)? He claims it's all b/c he's unathletic. I say there are plenty of unathletic people who crossfit who do fine with cleans and jerks (snatches gets a little harder w/o some innate athleticism, but still).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giVYJMZFM7k (WFS)
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Unathleticism & Dynamic Lifts

Video is private fyi.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Matt Rigney

Profile:

Didn't realize he'd made it private. Oh well. In the meantime, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5k6u1GNt4I (wfs)

A bit heavier, but in all honesty, the C&J at 105# looks about the same as this one (at 155#)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5k6u1GNt4I
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

Have him learn from the above the knee hang, or even from the belt. He has no choice but to extend and get under the bar. A good cue for the early arm bend is "arms like chains."
Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Meh, lots of things to work on is right. Kid needs a real life coach. It's always harder to fix someone with a lot of ingrained bad habits, and teens are the hardest to deal with because they already know everything .

Give him a choice: he can wallow in frustrating mediocrity indefinitely, or spend a few dedicated months building a foundation that can stay with him for the rest of his life. Looks like there are ~8 affiliates in your area. There is bound to be at least one decent weightlifting coach among them.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Matt Rigney

Profile:

@Mauricio Thanks. Basically what I've told him. I'm an adequate lifter who has a pretty good understanding of the lifts, but I"m no coach. He actually lives in the Washington DC area, so he has a lot more than 8 boxes he cold go to. I think I'll pass along the "he can wallow in frustrating mediocrity indefinitely, or spend a few dedicated months building a foundation that can stay with him for the rest of his life" quote.

As an fyi, he's no teen. He's 32. Older than me. Haha.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rigney View Post
As an fyi, he's no teen. He's 32. Older than me. Haha.
Haha awesome then he really has no excuse .
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I was thinking he was a pretty young guy.

Mainly his technique is poor and he is trying to jerk from the chest (like I used to) instead off the shoulders racked.

He also should ditch the cons. Wanna WL? Get some ****ing WL shoes, even cheap *** shoes or better than anything else out there (except maybe Nanos, no idea TBH).

Flexibility needs some work too.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

I also thought he was a kid, haha. Poor lighting, I guess.

Shoes: Not everyone who wants to do a decent clean as part of a fitness routine needs weightlifting shoes. If he wants to get serious about it, sure, but anything that isn't squishy and gives a stable base will be fine for most people.

In terms of technique the #1 thing to fix, IMO, is the elbows. Catching with elbows low doesn't give the barbell a solid platform to land on and can be dangerous in a squat clean. If he has the mobility to do a proper rack position I'd have him do scarecrow cleans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKBPucHlzQ (WFS) at first holding nothing, just focusing on quickly swinging the elbows into the right position, then using a bar. After he got good at that he could then do Tall Cleans to further reinforce fast elbows and dropping under the bar quickly: http://vimeo.com/48326359 (WFS).

If he could fix the receiving position and stop bending his arms early he'd have something that wouldn't be cringe worthy, but if he wants to get it much better than that I agree with the earlier posters that he needs in person coaching.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

He actually catches the cleans on his shoulder but lowers it to jerk. His elbows aren't horizontal but he purposely lowers them as he stands up and prepares to jerk.