CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Dynamic Effort without accommodating resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
You are wrong. I don't know where you got that misinformation but it's not true. You should always leave a little in the tank when training. The ONLY time you would miss a lift is in competition and that's even frowned upon by Westside, but it happens. You should hit all lifts successfully. Louie, if you've ever heard him speak, is anti-missing lifts. Period. M/E days should be about 92, 94 and 98% of 1RM.
I depends which school of thought you are from, but I also don't think Louie said anything about having to fail, he just said go up to your max of THAT DAY, from what i've read that involves the lifter gauging how the lift went, and feeling it out. One of Brandon Lilly's commandments is to NOT MISS LIFTS in training.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Thats pretty close to the chart I listed above but I think youre leaving a more on the table that needed in the 65% and 70% rep schemes.
I agree with Andrew, if you want to mirror Westside 5 or 6 sets of doubles is not enough.

When they use bands on the heaviest week they'll typically go down to 8 sets, but rarely below 8.

So if you aren't using bands I'd try to hit 8-10 sets each week.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I depends which school of thought you are from, but I also don't think Louie said anything about having to fail, he just said go up to your max of THAT DAY, from what i've read that involves the lifter gauging how the lift went, and feeling it out. One of Brandon Lilly's commandments is to NOT MISS LIFTS in training.
Not to get off topic, but probably in the early days of Westside guys were going crazy every week trying to set records and beat each other. Dave Tate has talked about this.

But as Westside has evolved, listening to Louie, Dave Hoff and Brandon Lily, they have taken more of the approach of hit your record for the day. If you are feeling great that should be a PR, if you are feeling OK maybe some heavy work close to your PR and if you are feeling like dirt turn it into a Rep Effort Day. Dave Hoff has talked about saving your big PR's for the meet and even leaving some on the platform for the next cycle. And even on a day when you set a PR, Louie has said your done move on and let your body build for the next PR, don't push it beyond. He doesn't want you to train to fail.

But, this isn't permission to take it easy. You need to be grinding hard and heavy for you.