CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Alex Greenberg
Member Alex Greenberg is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 33
Another Military Training Post

Hello everyone,

I've read a couple threads and thought I'd make a post to get some critique on my training and see if I should change up some things. Anyways I will be going out for a Special Forces Branch in probably about a years time from now. Recently I have been doing Crossfit conditioning WODs and following Wendler's 5/3/1. My strength is okay not great, so getting stronger is probably top on the list for now. My Weekly Training schedule looks something like this:

Monday Morning: Crossfit WOD
Monday Afternoon: Wendler 5/3/1 Press
Monday Evening: Swim

Tuesday Morning: Crossfit WOD
Tuesday Afternoon: Wendler 5/3/1 Squat
Tuesday Evening: Possibly a ruck run

Wednesday: Rest and maybe a swim depending on class in the evening.

Thursday Morning: Crossfit WOD
Thursday Afternoon: Wendler 5/3/1 Bench
Thursday Evening: Run on Track

Friday Morning: Crossfit WOD
Friday Afternoon: Wendler 5/3/1 Deadlift
Friday Evening: Swim

Saturday: Ruck Run

Sunday: Morning Run and Rest

I run on Thursdays and Sundays because I'm taking this class on how to become a better runner and training for long distances, runs aren't too difficult. I'm not a great runner that's why I'm taking this class and it's also for school haha. My strength is in the water.

I am following Wendlers program because one of my goals is to get stronger and have read a lot of great stuff about it on here and figured I would give it a shot. Been feeling pretty good the past couple weeks. Now my question is should I keep following my program now or change some things up? I've looked into the Military athlete programs as well and liked those a lot to. Just looking for some insight from guys who had experience programming and such. Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Another Military Training Post

You should rest more. And ruck more. The CF stuff isn't as important as the rucking.

I'd move to two strength days a week. Squat/Press one day, Deadlift/Bench the other. The rest of your time should be sprints, running, and rucking.

Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Another Military Training Post

Move your strength work to the morning and your CF workout to the afternoon. If you want to get anything out of the strength work you'll want to hit it when you're relatively fresh, not still beat up from a metcon a few hours before. And I would strongly recommend reconsidering the idea of doing 3 workouts on 4 days per week.

Don't just jump right into ruck runs unless you want to destroy your joints. Also, you'll only run with a pack on very rare occasions, and it won't be a heavy pack when you do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Another Military Training Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Move your strength work to the morning and your CF workout to the afternoon. If you want to get anything out of the strength work you'll want to hit it when you're relatively fresh, not still beat up from a metcon a few hours before. And I would strongly recommend reconsidering the idea of doing 3 workouts on 4 days per week.

Don't just jump right into ruck runs unless you want to destroy your joints. Also, you'll only run with a pack on very rare occasions, and it won't be a heavy pack when you do it.
Ryan and Eric know about this stuff. I would add that if there is a significant swim component to your selection I would beef up on that (I see that you are in San Diego, many of the SW/SO units from out there put a priority on water proficiency), and if you MUST do MetCons stick with bodyweight ones with an emphasis on pullups.
__________________
Experience is a hard teacher because they gives the test first, and the lessons afterwards. - Vernon Sanders Law
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Another Military Training Post

good advice above. train less, at least for now. if you have a year and strength is your priority then take some time and focus on strength while resting more and doing minimal conditioning. after a few months you can cut the strength back to twice a week to maintain and increase the conditioning work, adding in rucks and all that. for more specific advise it would be helpful to know what unit you are trying for or what school you are going to. alot of differences between different ones. Army SF, Air Force PJ, navy seals, or any of the other special warfare units all have very different requirements. water training is minimal for rangers but primary for SWCC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Alex Greenberg
Member Alex Greenberg is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 33
Re: Another Military Training Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Move your strength work to the morning and your CF workout to the afternoon. If you want to get anything out of the strength work you'll want to hit it when you're relatively fresh, not still beat up from a metcon a few hours before. And I would strongly recommend reconsidering the idea of doing 3 workouts on 4 days per week.

Don't just jump right into ruck runs unless you want to destroy your joints. Also, you'll only run with a pack on very rare occasions, and it won't be a heavy pack when you do it.
Okay cool. So if I may ask how would you recommend programming the 3 workouts on 4 days? Or is that in the Wendler book? Also should I look into maybe a Linear strength program or will the Wendler be my best bet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Alex Greenberg
Member Alex Greenberg is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 33
Re: Another Military Training Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
good advice above. train less, at least for now. if you have a year and strength is your priority then take some time and focus on strength while resting more and doing minimal conditioning. after a few months you can cut the strength back to twice a week to maintain and increase the conditioning work, adding in rucks and all that. for more specific advise it would be helpful to know what unit you are trying for or what school you are going to. alot of differences between different ones. Army SF, Air Force PJ, navy seals, or any of the other special warfare units all have very different requirements. water training is minimal for rangers but primary for SWCC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
You should rest more. And ruck more. The CF stuff isn't as important as the rucking.

I'd move to two strength days a week. Squat/Press one day, Deadlift/Bench the other. The rest of your time should be sprints, running, and rucking.

Good luck.
@Ryan what kind of sets and reps would the strength be? 3x5?
@Andrew I will be spending a lot of the time in the water. Being in the water is my strength, I'd rather live in it than be on land so it's the least of my worries haha. Top priorities for me are getting stronger and running I'd say..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Another Military Training Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Greenberg View Post
Okay cool. So if I may ask how would you recommend programming the 3 workouts on 4 days? Or is that in the Wendler book? Also should I look into maybe a Linear strength program or will the Wendler be my best bet?
Depends some on where your strength numbers are and how much extra conditioning work you plan on doing. You could do GSLP 3x per week if your numbers are still fairly low, or you could stretch 5/3/1 out to where you press Monday, deadlift Wednesday, bench Friday, then pick up the next Monday with squat, then press on Wednesday, deadlift Friday, and so on. Given the total volume of your program and the fact that strength isn't the #1 priority I'd lean towards 5/3/1 because it won't tax you quite as bad due to the decreased volume. One big lift plus one assistance lift per lifting day won't wear you out too bad.

Or if you go with the 2x per week schedule Ryan recommended, that could look exactly like the 2x per week GSLP I used to do. Do 5, 5, 5+ for squat/bench/press and a single set of 5+ for deadlift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Alex Greenberg
Member Alex Greenberg is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 33
Re: Another Military Training Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Depends some on where your strength numbers are and how much extra conditioning work you plan on doing. You could do GSLP 3x per week if your numbers are still fairly low, or you could stretch 5/3/1 out to where you press Monday, deadlift Wednesday, bench Friday, then pick up the next Monday with squat, then press on Wednesday, deadlift Friday, and so on. Given the total volume of your program and the fact that strength isn't the #1 priority I'd lean towards 5/3/1 because it won't tax you quite as bad due to the decreased volume. One big lift plus one assistance lift per lifting day won't wear you out too bad.

Or if you go with the 2x per week schedule Ryan recommended, that could look exactly like the 2x per week GSLP I used to do. Do 5, 5, 5+ for squat/bench/press and a single set of 5+ for deadlift.
Hmmm okay. Numbers right now are BS-295, Bench 245, DL 320, Press 150, Snatch 165, C&J 225. I'm really trying to shoot these numbers way up since it will be beneficial to my training. Based those what do you think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Another Military Training Post

Those numbers aren't bad, and once you're past a reasonable level of strength it won't have nearly the importance of your running, rucking, and swimming. I'd go with the steady gains of 3x per week 5/3/1 so you're not beating yourself up with GSLP's 5, 5, 5+ of squats twice per week plus everything else in the program.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit at Military basic training Michael Abeel Fitness 8 10-21-2011 09:22 PM
Paleo pre and post shipping out to military? Damian Chapman Nutrition 3 03-27-2010 08:11 AM
Balancing training in the military Randy Hill Starting 2 02-18-2010 08:11 PM
Training A Foreign Military Chris Joliet Community 33 02-24-2009 08:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.