CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Abbey Mortemore

Profile:
Box Member promoting opening their own affiliate to my membership

any suggestions or guidance on how to handle a member (w L1 cert) of my gym who has begun a Facebook page inviting members to train them and work out in their garage gym AND stating they are opening an affiliate and having a contest on what to name it for a free membership??? what the hell? I feel this person is 1 violating my non compete and 2 extremely inappropriate to be soliciting current and potential clients . I feel this is an extreme conflict of interest . thoughts? suggestions? anyone had to deal w this?
it's one thing to break off and open a box - we even did that, BUT as a current member openly posting an discussing and recruiting??
I am going to have a talk with the person but would like to ask them to leave. any insight by would be helpful

Thanks Abbey
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Rob Bousquet

Profile:
Re: Box Member promoting opening their own affiliate to my membership

Are they a trainer at your gym and do you have a non compete clause in their contract? If not probably not much you can do.
It is pretty weak of them to do that and a very persuasive talk should happen. I would watch them closely to make sure they are not violating any rules about being a box before they get affiliated.
I think you have every right to ask them to leave, and should. Tell your members that know about this how you think they should handle it and let the superior training beat out the cheap tactics.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

boot them - now !!!

It's one thing to want to start your own box and tell the owner your plans, completely different going behind your back.

Tell them that since they are opening their own CrossFit gym, there's no reason to stay at yours. And tell your members that this person is indeed opening their own box and people are free to join it if they believe he'll be a better coach / owner. That let's them know you're not afraid of losing members to him / her.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
boot them - now !!!

It's one thing to want to start your own box and tell the owner your plans, completely different going behind your back.

Tell them that since they are opening their own CrossFit gym, there's no reason to stay at yours. And tell your members that this person is indeed opening their own box and people are free to join it if they believe he'll be a better coach / owner. That let's them know you're not afraid of losing members to him / her.
This. How can you even consider keeping this person around? We've had trainers open, some on good and other on horrible terms.

If you do have a non-compete that they are in violation of, pay an attorney to send a letter to them notifying them of their violation of the non-compete. They can fight it, but it may also keep them from doing what they are doing.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Mike Kelley

Profile:

As of last years affiliate agreement, we cannot have coaches sign a non-compete...doubt it would hold up anyway.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

What goes around comes around. It's the cannibalization of CrossFit. If you are doing it well, "they" can do better
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
As of last years affiliate agreement, we cannot have coaches sign a non-compete...doubt it would hold up anyway.
While that is true, I suspect most affiliate owners are not aware of that. Even if they are, wouldn't know what to do when a letter from an attorney shows up in their mailbox.

It only needs to hold up in court, most times it won't even get there.
Most people are too dumb to really know what to do when they get a letter from an attorney with the threat of a lawsuit, as poor of a reason as it may be.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Adam Morden

Profile:

That is a horrible situation to be in. If they're a trainer you probably have some recourse (firing them) if they're a member, all you can really do is revoke their membership. BUT, have you talked to them about it yet? That has to be the first step, that along with stepping up your game - the best way to handle your competition is to crush it =) You'll have more experience, more momentum, more connections. Put all that to work to create an experience for your existing clients that can not be beat. You might lose some - there are always some people for whom cost is the bottom line, but you will most likely replace them and more with higher retention and referrals.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
It's your business. If you want to have someone sign a non-compete, go for it. The word CrossFit is not anywhere in my business papers. I just pay my dues every year and use the name. My staff are hired under my business name. They work for me.

On another note, if this person is still coaching at your gym after what they've been doing, shame on you.