CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Squats and Hip flexor pain

You are stretching different parts of the calf when your knee is bent vs. straight. You should do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Continuing to hijack this thread.... this has been eye-opening.

I had stretched the calf before, but with a straight leg, and it feels fine, like ROM is decent and all.

But when I stretch it with a bent knee, on the right side, it hurts a bit when I reach end ROM. I didn't think this was normal. So I went ahead and I did 3 sets supersetting calf raises with a bent leg, seated, with the bar on top of my thigh (used the padding I bought for Hip Thrusts), lowering slowly and trying to increase ROM at the bottom, and also did some dorsiflexion with a band. After the 3 sets of each I tried again toget into the "3rd world squat" possition (with feet pointing nearly straight ahead), and again tried to push my knee as forward and outwards as I could (while keeping the foot on the floor, trying not to let the inside of it lifting off), and this time I could reach the End Range without pain... it just stops at the end of the ROM, as it should, but without pain! Which I guess is good news??

I was piecing things together, and it seems I was much healthier at a time when I wore Vibrams all the time and actually did some short runs (usually as part of a metcon) in them. It seems the lower leg musculature is just not worked enough with the traditional barbell/dumbell movements, plus walking around with shoes. This is my conclusion. In fact I remember everytime I take a hiatus from running (like the current one which hasbeen going on for perhaps over a year, lol), even a short run (8 minutes or so) in my Vibrams makes me sore in muscles I nevereven knew I had (they feel deep inside the lower leg, to both sides, outside/inside... not the calf per se, but other muscles, and the shin muscles). Even though I absolutely hate cardio/running... I am actually thinking of doing short, 8-10 minutes jogs a few times a week (I don't want to commit to every day because I hate this!!) just for the sake of making the feet/lower leg stronger and healthier. With perhaps a set of my home-made version of the seated calf-raise and foot dorsiflexor before it, so it's warm and has all the ROM it needs. This can't hurt, we shall see.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
You are stretching different parts of the calf when your knee is bent vs. straight. You should do both.
Brian: I had read that before, but I guess I foolishly decided to ignore it. I have done some calf stretches here and there over the past few years, but it has exclusively been the straight-legged version. I'm OK in that one, I can ram the foot very high against the wall, probably quite a bit more than your AVG. person. Where I obviously lack is with my knee bent! What a difference! Specially in my right leg. I can't go far at all, and worst of all, it actually hurts a bit at end range! I know I need to work on that.

I had a test jog saturday noon, I jogged 9 minutes in my VFFs. It's monday now, and my lower calves are still crippled, I'm walking funny

I absolutely HATE jogging. But if this will help my foot/ankle (and therefore hip and everything else) health... I might do this a few times a week. At least it's comforting to know that a short jog is enough to work these muscles so darn much! Soreness is quite epic, but that was expected. I wonder if I should also do the seated calf-raises and dorsiflexion with the band... those seemed to help get more ROM so I will do those as well. It sucks to do a lot of these stuff as it doesn't feel like real exercising
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I am a bit confused though. When I try to push my knee out, I can do it, my glute medius are strong by now after years of hitting them (lol), and I don't seem to be tight in the hips. The issue is that the part of the foot right below the Big Toe, lifts off the ground when I do this! So I might get away with this with light squats as I'm on both feet. But if they get heavy, that right foot can't stay on it's outer edge, it will go flat on the ground and bring the knee inwards. And during unilateral moves like Bulgarian Split Squats and Pistols.. forget it, it happens every rep as I can't balance on one foot on it's outer edge!

But I wonder if it's just dorsiflexion that I need? What about flexibility in that direction? I mean, pushing the knee out AND keeping the foot flat on the floor. How do I do that?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Steven Low

Profile:

Spread the floor is a cue to activate the glutes, and keep the knees from collapsing in.

You don't actually want to push the knees way out such that you're redistributing weight on the lateral part of the foot.