CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
Squats and Hip flexor pain

I have been doing some high volume training for the past few months. I follow the chaos'n'pain approach, pretty much squatting 3x per week, push/pulling 3x per week, and deadlifting once a week. Its always high volume, usually 8-12 sets of reps of 3 and under. I train everyday until I need a rest day, and when I need it I take it. I've been doing this since December while making incredible progress. Everything has been going fine, except lately my hip flexor has been giving me some trouble. Location is the anterior hip, to the left of my junk. Hurts at the very bottom of the squat. It hurts A LOT during the warmup sets, then once I've gotten some blood flow its not THAT bad but I still feel it. Lately my squat progress has halted due to it.

Its also worth mentioning that my knees do come in when I go heavy. No matter how much I try or focus on it I cannot keep my knees out with squats over 80% of my 1rm. I have been working my abductors for the past two months and that hasn't helped at all. I also stretch before I lift and occasionally do lacrosse ball friction massage (not as religious as I should). Is the problem with my knees? or the volume? (3x squats per week). Should I rest or can I lift through this? Maybe cut back on the volume?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Robert Walsh

Profile:
Re: Squats and Hip flexor pain

Been a couple of threads on this. I had/sometimes still have the same problem. It usually hurt at the very deepest part of the squat, so I just squatted to a box for a couple of weeks -- one that was right above the point where it hurt.

Also, the couch stretch. Really open up that hip/quad. Roll and lacrosse ball the **** out of it and make sure the glutes are in good shape.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post

Hurts at the very bottom of the squat. It hurts A LOT during the warmup sets, then once I've gotten some blood flow its not THAT bad but I still feel it.

Its also worth mentioning that my knees do come in when I go heavy. No matter how much I try or focus on it I cannot keep my knees out with squats over 80% of my 1rm. I have been working my abductors for the past two months and that hasn't helped at all.

well the bad news is that you need to lay off the heavy squats as you currently do them, as each workout, I am guessing it is slowly getting worse

always judge your pain from injury by the warm up pain..

secondly, don't know where you got your advice on strengthening abductors to prevent this but my thought is it is more Glute minimus, the musles in the glutes that rotate the leg out ..

squat lighter weights (with your injury that should be the right advice) and drive your knees out at the bottom, if they cave the weight is too heavy. Whatever weight it is that you can do them at will be a heavy weight (relativley), and progress will result.

build up your ability to squat with knees out as all you have been doing is building the ability to squat with knees caving

soon the hip flexor will heal, and you will have a good platform to go forward

and by the way been there done that, just wish someone had given me the above advice

and congrats on your progress
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Aarron Cunningham

Profile:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't glute minimmus responsible for abduction as well as external rotation?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

correct me by all means, but at the end of the day squatting driving the knees out, rotate the floor, what have you is what he needs ... what he is working on is part of his problem not part of his answer..
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarron Cunningham View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't glute minimmus responsible for abduction as well as external rotation?
Gluteus minimus stabilizes the pelvis, esp. while on one leg. It abducts and internally rotates the leg while extended. It externally rotates the leg while flexed.

To the op, does it really hurt, or does it just feel like something jams?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Gluteus minimus stabilizes the pelvis, esp. while on one leg. It abducts and internally rotates the leg while extended. It externally rotates the leg while flexed.

To the op, does it really hurt, or does it just feel like something jams?
What happens if it feels like something jams?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
What happens if it feels like something jams?
Could be bursitis or a hypertonic iliopsoas or a lot of adhesions causing the fascia around the ASIS to stick together, or it could be a little bit of all of that going on.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

There are a few reasons why someones knees cave with squats, DL, box jumps, etc. The most often spot that you are not looking is the ankle, and its poor mobility. Strengthen and stretch all you want, if the ankle lacks proper dorsiflexion, you will not fix the problem.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
There are a few reasons why someones knees cave with squats, DL, box jumps, etc. The most often spot that you are not looking is the ankle, and its poor mobility. Strengthen and stretch all you want, if the ankle lacks proper dorsiflexion, you will not fix the problem.
Hmm, I have never heard of or considered this. How does one go about diagnosing/fixing the dorsiflexion of the ankle?

Edit: NVM, anybody else interested in this concept check out this mobilitywod http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/t...squatting.html (wfs)

This is interesting, I need to try this.

Last edited by Michael Zoda : 03-18-2012 at 09:29 PM.