CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #11
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I don't know that one can draw parallels between other animals and humans. If one can, keep in mind that the three-toed sloth eats no meat yet the leopard does.:wink:
Old 02-23-2003, 12:53 PM   #12
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

True, and if you are suggesting that the three-toed sloth is slow and the leopard is fast, I agree with your thoughts. But I dont Know if this is a factor of diet, although it could be.

Old 02-23-2003, 06:50 PM   #13
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I was just making a joke.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:19 AM   #14

Profile:

Thats cool man. :happy:
Old 02-28-2003, 05:57 PM   #15
Thomas E. Crubaugh

Profile:  
Sean, et al,

This is an interesting thread. From 1987 to 1993 I was a strict vegetarian, but never a vegan and even with the ovo-lacto intake I am sure I was the weakest and least vigorous of any time in my life. Now, I didn't pay any attention to getting adequate protien from the many alternate sources of protien that exist and I had two small children during those years that kept me from getting adequate sleep oten times so there are plenty of extenuating circumstances that could go toward explaining my lack of condition during those years.

Since that time, I have begun to eat poultry and seafood products but still have not returned to any four-legged protien sources. I generally eat better now, My kids are older and I sleep better now and most of all, I have CrossFit rather than the running and cycling that were my main exercise during the vegetarian years. So I can't isolate any factors very cleanly.

I do feel that I get along very well without pork, beef and other mammal food and that I could readily substitute dairy for soy for chicken for tuna without any difference to my overall fitness. Still, I like best having all four of these protiensources to draw on and wouldn't want to give up any one of them.

Others have addressed the moral delimnas that you wrestle with and I won't go into that much except to say that I don't eat mammals because I like them and don't feel any need to. I'm sorry, but I see chickens and turkeys as being practically vegetables with feathers and have no qualms about eating them right up. I don't like that they suffer in factory farms and opt for free range when available. Farmed fish are causing all kinds of problems and I try to be sure and get the kind caught in the open ocean even though that has its own problems, too. The major question for all of these is, what is sustainable?

No simple answers. Good to hear a variety of viewpoints, though.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #16
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sean- it is a tough go to put together a non paleo diet which is nutrient dense...with all the benefits which go along with that. It might work for you just keep an eye on your performance and body composition as these are excellent indicators of what ones diet is doing hormonally.

The most telling thing I have seen in all of this is that if one analyzes a grain based ADA recomended diet it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the measly RDA requirements of most nutrients without eating enourmous amounts of food. A similar paleo diet provides nutrients far above the RDA into what I would consider a therapeutic range...approaching a diet which is predicated on deficiency is a dicey prospect IMO.
Robb
Old 03-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #17

Profile:

thank you everyone for the reply. MR. Wolf could you please answer a ? i have in this section under the post called " smoked meat bad for you. thanks again everyone

sean