CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2003, 04:29 AM   #1
Don Milliken

Profile:

What does everyone think about consuming a drink containing 0.4g/kg whey protein and 0.8g/kg high-GI carbs (eg. maltodextrin and dextrose) immediately after training? These are John Berardi's recommendations. I realize that such a drink strays from paleo/zone guidelines, but there seems to be a fair bit of evidence, both from scientific research and from real-world experience, to support its use as a recovery aid. Would love to hear your opinions of and experiences with carb/protein post-workout shakes. If you don't think they're a good idea, I'd love to hear what you use as an alternative.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Don- i asked just this question a week or so ago and the consensus as I understood it: "insulin spik...bad". I really respect John Berardi and have talked to him several times via email but I have never had good success with the post wo carb protein combo. I have been following a paleo version of natural Hormonal Enhancement with very good success. Look at the thread about caloric restriction to see specificly what coach recomends as far as macronutrient ratios of the crossfit diet. I recomend tinkering and seeing how you perform and feel. All the theory in the world can teel me the post workout carb load is a good thing but it makes me feel like crap/ Therefore...I do not do it!
I hope this helps!
robb
Old 02-18-2003, 05:05 AM   #3
Don Milliken

Profile:

Interesting. Do you eat anything immediately post-workout? If so, what do you usually eat?