CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: is there any value in this workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I'd make them go first, then once they finish say, you win.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
Ash Smith

Profile:

I wanted to knock this as completely stupid, but what's the point of any repetitive activity like running? I don't run much because I'm terrible at it, don't need the joint shocks (even with POSE), and I get very bored with it. It's a weakness for me, but not one I really care to address. I love hiking and will choose a long uphill walking slog over running 9 times out of 10.

I think I'd rather swing a light kbell 1000 times than run a 5k. Might be reminiscent of rowing a 5k in terms of muscle recruitment, assuming you keep good form throughout.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #23
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Smith View Post
I wanted to knock this as completely stupid, but what's the point of any repetitive activity like running? I don't run much because I'm terrible at it, don't need the joint shocks (even with POSE), and I get very bored with it. It's a weakness for me, but not one I really care to address. I love hiking and will choose a long uphill walking slog over running 9 times out of 10.

I think I'd rather swing a light kbell 1000 times than run a 5k. Might be reminiscent of rowing a 5k in terms of muscle recruitment, assuming you keep good form throughout.
I wouldn't put 5k run and 1k kettlebell swings in the same category. One is retarded and the other is something done on a regular basis. Even 10k would be better than 1k swings.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Do you think KB sports are "retarded?"
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Do you think KB sports are "retarded?"
I don't know anything about KB Sports to comment. Kettlebells are great if done correctly. You can do a ton of great exercise with them. I just don't care for 100+ of anything. I think there are better ways of doing things.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #26
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I don't think the 1,000 swing challenge is that bad as a challenge. I think it is terrible in a gym's programming.

I qualify that by saying any good challenge should be worked towards (programmed towards, planned, thought about). I think rhabdo or serious injury (doesn't have to be rhabdo) occurs when you stress your system with something you aren't prepared for. If you are going to take on a challenge like 1,000 swings in a single workout, then you should first have done 25 swings, 50 swings, 100, etc working your way up to some decent volume before you jump in with both feet.

Same goes with any exercsie, you can get rhabdo/injury from push-ups, GHDs, pull-ups, negative DB Curls...probably from any exercise if you aren't properly prepared and have not "put in work" so to speak...

For a serious KB practitioner I'm sure this would be a challenge but HIGHLY doable. For Sally's 6-month anniversary WOD in your Crossfit gym I think this is TERRIBLE.

It definitely shouldn't be a WOD, but should remain a challenge...like 15 BW OHS.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
Michael Dowling

Profile:

in all fairness after looking at the board yesterday the 1000 KB swings for time was under 'challenge' directly under the WOD. it was done by most of the folks in the gym though.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 08-23-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

It's on the trainer and client too, as a team to decide who should and shouldn't be doing these sorts of things as rx'd...hopefully at least one person thought about that for each person who did it. Hopefully the trainer(s) have established enough respect to be listened to if they told someone "No" or "Scale to x-reps".
Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #29
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I wouldn't put 5k run and 1k kettlebell swings in the same category. One is retarded and the other is something done on a regular basis. Even 10k would be better than 1k swings.
so if i did 1000kb swings regularly and never did a 5k then would the 5k be retarded? what you said is a little close minded. some times people need to be tested for the sake of being tested. i
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #30
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
so if i did 1000kb swings regularly and never did a 5k then would the 5k be retarded? what you said is a little close minded. some times people need to be tested for the sake of being tested. i
Running is not retarded. 5k is not exactly long distance. It is 3.1 miles. Now if you never ran and tried to run a marathon, then it would be retarded, but it's your life, so do whatever you want. If doing 1k of kettlebell swings floats your boat or anyone else's, go for it. As I get older, my tolerance for stupid **** gets lower and my body thanks me. When I was younger, I probably would have been stupid enough to try something like this. Now, I'd rather work out smarter. JMHO.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 08-24-2011 at 05:50 AM.