CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: is there any value in this workout?

I don't know the value, but if you get deep into the KB world you'll find "challenges" much more ridiculous than 1,000 swings.

Not judging whether that's good or bad...but I think most experienced KB folks would finish this in about 40 mins...or so. Definitely a grip/hand pain-fest.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I don't know the value, but if you get deep into the KB world you'll find "challenges" much more ridiculous than 1,000 swings.

Not judging whether that's good or bad...but I think most experienced KB folks would finish this in about 40 mins...or so. Definitely a grip/hand pain-fest.
This. 1000 swings for time isn't a great workout but don't discount it as a challenge. I've seen dudes attempt 1000 snatches with the 16kg without putting the bell down. This seems easier than that.

Nobody said challenges had to be beneficial. For my 31st birthday I deadlifted 225 300 times. There was no benefit - probably detrimental - l but it was certainly challenging.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
This. 1000 swings for time isn't a great workout but don't discount it as a challenge. I've seen dudes attempt 1000 snatches with the 16kg without putting the bell down. This seems easier than that.

Nobody said challenges had to be beneficial. For my 31st birthday I deadlifted 225 300 times. There was no benefit - probably detrimental - l but it was certainly challenging.
Where's the logic in a detrimental challenge?

Bragging rights?

Just to see if you can?

Why do something challenging for the sake of the challenge?

There are plenty of stupid activities that can be considered "challenging."

Where do you draw the line?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I dunno. I think challenges can be fun. As long as you realize they are not helping your fitness what's the harm? A marathonis a challenge. Badwater is a challenge. The CF games are a challenge. None of these are great for improving fitness, but what's the harm in testing yourself beyond a reasonable workout sometimes? As long as you know what you're getting into.

Having said that I probably wouldn't have programmer this as a whole gym, general population WOD.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
As long as you realize they are not helping your fitness what's the harm?
Rhabdo
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Where's the logic in a detrimental challenge?

Bragging rights?

Just to see if you can?

Why do something challenging for the sake of the challenge?

There are plenty of stupid activities that can be considered "challenging."

Where do you draw the line?
Why climb Everest other than to see if you can climb Everest (and then to get to boast about it if you succeed)? Challenges have their place, and usually there's some risk involved.

But I think climbing Everest and working out are two very very different things. And from what the OP said, it seems like this 1000 kb swing endeavor was a workout--a "WOD"--something that is intended to be daily... not a national championship with money on the line, not a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you spend years preparing for. Not even a "peak" like a lifting meet or a marathon.

Challenges are usually something you train for. Training is usually something you use to prepare for a challenge and improve yourself. 1000 kb swings is an absurd workout.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

I agree that challenges have their place. Any competition is a challenge. Going for a PR on a lift, run, or what have you is a challenge.

But why do something absurd just because it's challenging? And I am aware that what is absurd is subjective. And I don't think that climbing Mt. (insert mountain here) is absurd.

But some of these "challenges" aren't even something to brag about. Some of them go along the lines of: "Hey, I just drank a gallon a gasoline." Would drinking a gallon a gasoline be challenging? Probably. Is it something to brag about? Not for anyone of moderate intelligence.

See where I'm going with this?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #18
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I thought 100 of anything is stupid. This is just retarded. If someone ever challenged me to 1k kettlebell swings, I'd say, "you win"
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

I wouldn't do this one in particular but challenges like this have their place. As was said above; why climb everest or run a marathon? I wouldn't say bragging rights, I'd say its the mental toughness that doing those things develop. If you think about sf training(seals whatever) its not good for you physically. But the mental toughness it creates literally saves lives. Every now and again I like to program massive sets for myself. Why? Because I hate them and a third of the way through I want to quit, getting half way makes me feel good and terrible at the same time. I don't feel like quitting on a filthy fifty anymore, but doing 1500+ 4 count flutter kicks puts my mind in a vulnerable spot. The boredom, the monotony, the questions, and the pain all start coming after me and you've got to find a small void in your brain where you just keep moving.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I thought 100 of anything is stupid. This is just retarded. If someone ever challenged me to 1k kettlebell swings, I'd say, "you win"
I'd make them go first, then once they finish say, you win.