CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #101
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

I spent $2.17 on two mcdoubles today thats pretty cheap. But cost is not an issue at all. The experiment is designed to prove you can post PR's, lose bodyfat, get faster and possibly even improve your blood panel on "low quality food".

Mcdonalds was chosen simply because its the icon of fast food. Also you can make decent choices at mcdonalds its not just burgers and frys.

After far too much time spent reading arguing and experimenting I am really coming to terms with the fact that perhaps food quality is not quite as important as we like to believe it is.

So if after 30 days I post PR's across the board in multiple events ranging from strength to endurance and my blood panel gets better or doesnt change significantly I think I will be well on my way to my first book calling all these diets and research papers a big pile of trash. Eat what you want and thrive!

Of course I could also fail miserably, get fatter get weaker and turn my body chemistry upside down. Its just 30 days you can do anything for 30 days.....
Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #102
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
mmm technically that isn't correct. Carbohydrates are an organic compound that include sugar. A sugar is ususally either a disaccharide or monosaccaride. For instance sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide made up of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. Carbohydrates can also be in the form of polysaccharides like starch, chitin, cellulose, and glycogen. These complex polysaccharides are broken down into their simpler monosaccharide components (like glucose) inside the body. Glucose is used as an energy source in our bodies in processes like aerobic respiration, anaerobic respiration, and fermentation. Fat is also eventually broken down to glucose to be used as fuel. It is first broken down into glycerol and fatty acids. The glycerol is broken down into glucose by the liver and then can be used as a fuel source.

Hope you learned something
Ha ha! That was exactly my first thought! All sugar's are carbohydrates but not all carbohydrates are sugars! Well said and thankyou!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #103
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
I spent $2.17 on two mcdoubles today thats pretty cheap. But cost is not an issue at all. The experiment is designed to prove you can post PR's, lose bodyfat, get faster and possibly even improve your blood panel on "low quality food".

Mcdonalds was chosen simply because its the icon of fast food. Also you can make decent choices at mcdonalds its not just burgers and frys.

After far too much time spent reading arguing and experimenting I am really coming to terms with the fact that perhaps food quality is not quite as important as we like to believe it is.

So if after 30 days I post PR's across the board in multiple events ranging from strength to endurance and my blood panel gets better or doesnt change significantly I think I will be well on my way to my first book calling all these diets and research papers a big pile of trash. Eat what you want and thrive!

Of course I could also fail miserably, get fatter get weaker and turn my body chemistry upside down. Its just 30 days you can do anything for 30 days.....
Good luck with that mate! All the preservatives alone are frightening!
Someone made the point that the paleo diet hasn't been around (in modern terms) long enough to really measure the long term effects. That seems a pretty good point to me.
Shane (I think) pointed out that it is believed that paleo man actually used grains in their diet. It has also been suggested, due to recent finds, that paleo man engaged in limited agriculture long before the end of the paleolithic.
The best thing, in my personal opinion based on no evidence, the paleo diet encourages is the inclusion of lots of vegetables and eating clean. The rest is open to debate.
Bottom line, eat healthy clean foods and reap the rewards. Eat crap and join the masses. To me, eating refined sugars is OK, as long as they aren't over-consumed. Likewise bread. Ditto red meat, etc..
I'm off for a burger, not McDonalds though!
By the way, you know what they say about opinions....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #104
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
all you have to do is look at the NFL and you can see some of the most freakishly strong and athletic people in all of professional sports, then realize many of them grew up in inner cities with very fatty, sugary, and salty diets and you can understand genetics is a much larger part of the equation.

i am interested to see how an athlete does working out hard on an all mcdonalds diet. i would definitely watch it.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #105
Jason Halm

Profile:

I think a good point to make is just how difficult it is to "eat clean" with wheat. Look at the average package of whole-grain bread, and tell me that's clean with a straight face. I don't think consuming rice in accordance with your activity level or baking a loaf of bread every sunday is really a problem--obviously, if it's not getting you where you want to be, change something. But the problem rests with highly processed foods, not ground up grass.

(that being said, i generally eat paleo, with a little bit of rice and some legums)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #106
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
all you have to do is look at the NFL and you can see some of the most freakishly strong and athletic people in all of professional sports, then realize many of them grew up in inner cities with very fatty, sugary, and salty diets and you can understand genetics is a much larger part of the equation.

i am interested to see how an athlete does working out hard on an all mcdonalds diet. i would definitely watch it.
I read half your post and almost made an argument about how those guys are genetic freaks...then I read the second half and I'll just shut up and agree
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #107
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:

I find this to be an amazing challenge lol. If you manage to come back with PR's I will be impressed but not completely shocked. People sometimes do put waaaay to much emphasis on food, however mcdonalds is extremely bad for you. I have eaten it after track practices myself sometimes but not always, and honestly I do not feel anything. I do not eat it as much as I used to, but still then I was fine.

People have a belief that if you do an extremely hard workout and eat crap after it that it just cancels out the workout. Maybe you are not providing your body with the nutrients to recover, but I believe it will not cancel it out.

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #108
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sligh View Post
People have a belief that if you do an extremely hard workout and eat crap after it that it just cancels out the workout. Maybe you are not providing your body with the nutrients to recover, but I believe it will not cancel it out.
This is getting ridiculous. It's McDonald's. No, it isn't ideal, but it's hardly toxic sludge.

A McDonald's cheeseburger contains bioavailable fat, protein, and carbs. These will be used by the body in the exact same way as the fat, protein, and carbs in a grass-fed burger with aged artisan cheddar on a homemade whole wheat roll.

Eating McDonald's for a month will not kill you, will probably not make you sick if you're in reasonable health to begin with, and can certainly support PRs if you make sure to get adequate calories.

Barring true malnutrition or food allergies, the effects of a bad diet appear over years and decades, not weeks.

Katherine
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #109
Mike Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
This is getting ridiculous. It's McDonald's. No, it isn't ideal, but it's hardly toxic sludge.Katherine
What I would like to see is someone eat only at McDonalds, while setting PRs and losing weight. I know quite a few people that eat at McDonalds and still maintain a high level of fitness.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #110
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
What I would like to see is someone eat only at McDonalds, while setting PRs and losing weight. I know quite a few people that eat at McDonalds and still maintain a high level of fitness.
Have you watched the documentary FatHead? Its available to watch for free streaming online: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head (wfs)
While not exactly comparable to someone athletic or PR setting, the fairly average guy loses weight and gets "healthier" in the ways that are quantifiable by modern medicine. Same deal with the twinkie diet guy.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 07-22-2011 at 03:10 PM.