CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #91
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Look closer. There are entire forums that I mostly ignore because I don't have interest or knowledge on the topic. (Equipment and injuries, for instance.) And there are people with whom I've essentially agreed to disagree, and ignore unless they say something especially egregious.

Katherine
I was just giving you a hard time, nothing personal

Also I had a chicken salad sandwhich from 7-11 this morning for breakfast and just downed a couple mcdoubles with cheese as a pre-workout meal. I will report back after my workout to tell you if I performed well on it and if so I expect to start putting together a diet book which will revolutionize how we eat. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Rob Samuels : 07-21-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #92
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Absolutely. Except where the rubber meets the road and socio-economics/politics enter the fray. Let's see, I can go to about 15 different stores in a 5 mile radius where perhaps 80-90% of my caloric choices are distinctly un-Paleo for a fraction of the price of the alternative, or incur X times the inconvenience and price of foraging through the concrete jungle for something that actually qualifies. Hmm, which one might cause compliance issues?
I'm right there with you on the distortions imposed by farm subsidies. But meat has always been more expensive and difficult to obtain than plants, including grains, and one would expect that the human metabolism has evolved to take that into account.

Katherine
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #93
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm right there with you on the distortions imposed by farm subsidies. But meat has always been more expensive and difficult to obtain than plants, including grains, and one would expect that the human metabolism has evolved to take that into account.

Katherine
I think that expectation is statistically misplaced. I can't remember which of the Paleo Nazi Godwin-able leaders said it, but by some egghead's estimation basically 25% or so of the population is well-adapted to thrive through at least reproductive age while sustaining themselves on just about any reasonably food-like substance you throw at them. Genetics and all that. The other 75% not so much, and increasingly so. As you all know, Evolution works by "selecting" aka killing the weak. That's all just fascinating when watching crocodiles hunt on discovery channel, but not so cool when it's one's friends and family being selected for pick-your-disease-of-Modern-Civilization. On a long enough timeline I'm sure the survivors would all adapt to eat spam-stuffed newspaper tacos. The question must always return to public policy, not what works for some.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 07-21-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #94
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You're not actually making a whole lot of sense here....

First, I was referring to the relative availability of plant vs. animal-based foods for pretty much all of human history. Meat has always been more expensive than the alternatives, so it makes sense that humans would be metabolically happy with relatively less meat and relatively more plant-based foods.

(And with a McDonald's on every corner do you *really* want to claim that meat isn't readily available?)

Second, the diseases of civilization don't generally kill people until well after reproductive age, so I'm not sure what your riff on evolution has to do with anything.

Katherine
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #95
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Paleo man didn't concern himself with life after 40, he was either crushed by a mammoth or died of a tooth infection at 33. Heart disease, cancer etc... Just weren't a worry. Fact is we don't really know what the modern adaptation of the paleo diet will do to people long term since it really just came en vogue. Most tribes that are hunters and gatherers have far different diets than the paleo followers of western society.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #96
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I am pleased to to report my two mcdoubles with cheese fueled my athletic performance. I was pleased with my strength and energy levels throughout the workout. Total workout time was about 70 minutes or so. I feel as though I have plenty of gas in the tank despite this being my second workout of the day and 8x3 Benchpress 8x3 oh press 8x3 "the exercise" multiple warm up sets, weighted dips/pullups farmers carries planks etc...

I may look into doing a movie called "The real 30 days" Where I record performance gains (or losses) over 30 days eating only mcdonalds.

Who wants to pre-order?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #97
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
I am pleased to to report my two mcdoubles with cheese fueled my athletic performance. I was pleased with my strength and energy levels throughout the workout. Total workout time was about 70 minutes or so. I feel as though I have plenty of gas in the tank despite this being my second workout of the day and 8x3 Benchpress 8x3 oh press 8x3 "the exercise" multiple warm up sets, weighted dips/pullups farmers carries planks etc...

I may look into doing a movie called "The real 30 days" Where I record performance gains (or losses) over 30 days eating only mcdonalds.

Who wants to pre-order?
where do I sign my money away?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #98
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:

Who wants to pre-order?
I actually think this is a really good idea.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #99
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

So do I! I am going to organize it a bit then post a thread exclusive to this idea for feedback and comments. Then video log my 30 day journey. I was looking through the Mcdonald menue and you can eat decently if your selective. It wouldnt be all about big macs and fry's although certaily that would be included. I have lots of thoughts on this idea! I love a project!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #100
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:

Who wants to pre-order?

Ignoring the fact that McDonalds is crap, I'm not sure why you would want to spend that much on low-quality food. At least where I live, a Big Mac with fries and a drink is like 7 bucks. Pretty easy to get same number of calories with junk food for about 75% of that elsewhere.