CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Muscle Ups

I have been working Tuckers progression and have some questions. I find that when I transition to the low support my hands/shoulders are in a much different spot than when I just do dips. Not sure why that is but it is tweaking my shoulder. I feel like my hands are way behind my shoulders instead of in my pits. Do you think I am leaning forward too much?

Additionally, has anyone had success getting a MU this way? I raised the rings the other day and can't get anywhere close yet. The transition spot seems impossible. Work in progress!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: Muscle Ups

The ring position in the muscle up is going to be different than a regular ring dip. This is because in a ring dip you are lowering yourself into the bottom, while in a MU, you are pulling yourself up and ontop of the rings. Your shoulders will most likely be more forward in a MU. As far as the shoulder pain - I would advise ring dips with the shoulders forward. I haven't noticed any shoulder pain while doing MU's.

With the transition practice - it's going to be very hard to learn a MU that way. Sure, your form will be really good when you do get one but it's going to take a while. A lot of people don't realize the bicep strength needed to get a MU. Practice supinated pull ups on the bar and false grip pull ups on the rings. I think that those two things will help.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Have you tried working band-assisted seated MU? I've been doing that lately and making progress (on the purple band right now.) Haven't noticed any shoulder issues.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Stanley View Post
Have you tried working band-assisted seated MU? I've been doing that lately and making progress (on the purple band right now.) Haven't noticed any shoulder issues.
Do you have a link to what this looks like. Sounds like a good fit!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
The ring position in the muscle up is going to be different than a regular ring dip. This is because in a ring dip you are lowering yourself into the bottom, while in a MU, you are pulling yourself up and ontop of the rings. Your shoulders will most likely be more forward in a MU. As far as the shoulder pain - I would advise ring dips with the shoulders forward. I haven't noticed any shoulder pain while doing MU's.

With the transition practice - it's going to be very hard to learn a MU that way. Sure, your form will be really good when you do get one but it's going to take a while. A lot of people don't realize the bicep strength needed to get a MU. Practice supinated pull ups on the bar and false grip pull ups on the rings. I think that those two things will help.
Thanks Sean. I do work supinated pullups but never do pull ups on the rings--will add that in!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Jack Yee

Profile:

Check out http://gymnasticswod.com Carl has a great video on how to use the bands for the ring MU>

What really helped me is the concept of not "going up" , but going "through" the rings instead. Try to give yourself as much space as possible. Think of doing a backbend as you pull. This will give you plenty of space for you to "shoot" yourself through the rings. You can also the "backbend' with the progressions from Tucker. This really helps a lot.

Do you know how to do a bar muscle up? It is easier to learn and will help you understand the concept of "rolling" or "shooting through" instead of trying to pull as high as possible.

I'm writinig an article on how to do a bar MU. If you want to see it, send me your email.

Good luck!
Jackson
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Do you have a link to what this looks like. Sounds like a good fit!!
There's a thread about it here: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57662 (WFS)

And also if you search YouTube for "band assisted muscle ups" there are a lot of videos.