CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Compared to average joes I know who don't train, I have pretty impressive lifts. My lifts would almost be competitive with 115lbs women at the international level of weightlifting... and I'm a 210lbs man.

Everything is relative. You say 160lbs power cleans are too light yet they are beating you up and injuring you with "good" technique. I'd say they are too heavy if that's the case.

Sounds like you want us to agree with you that you're too old and beat up to power clean and give you the ok to sub out to things you like because you can do them heavier. Probably won't get that here.

On linear progression I've found most of my trainees' power clean for 5x3 is roughly the same weight as their bench press for 3x5, is yours? If not sounds like you need to get better at power cleans because you are lacking in power. (not strength)

Last edited by Chris Walls : 05-26-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
Crossfit Seattle lists a 1x BW power clean as Level III--"advanced".
Yes, but I can also make up a chart saying whatever I want it to say and then post it on the internet.

Again, "advanced" to which population of people? Average person on the street? Average CrossFitter? CrossFitter who can do Rx'd WODs? D-1 football player? Weightlifter?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Michael-

I looked up your power clean post because because for your weight, it seems really pretty low. so noone else has to search:

w/f/s
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66453

your set-up position looks ok. you could set your back a little tighter like the others suggested. if you watch the bar path, it goes slightly around your knees then back in towards your hips...this is a big problem. the bar should travel slightly in towards you, so as to keep your chest and shoulders over the bar until the 2nd pull.

problem #2...early armbend (as mentioned by the others). your arms should stay long until you initiate the pull under the bar. currently, they are bending BEFORE even the 2nd pull.

problem #3...your wasting a lot of force that could go into bar movement by jumping off the floor and donkey kicking (or whatever you want to call it). greg everett has a drill in his book where you do a 'controlled' jump by keeping your toes glued to the floor at the top of your jump. this should help fix that.

this is just a guess, but if you managed to fix those 3 critical technique errors, i'm betting you add 50+ lbs to your power clean very quickly.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #34
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Sounds like you want us to agree with you that you're too old and beat up to power clean and give you the ok to sub out to things you like because you can do them heavier. Probably won't get that here.
I wasn't going to say it, but since you went there first...

Assuming that an exercise you personally have trouble with is useless is very tempting. However, it's rarely true.

Katherine
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
Michael Dowling

Profile:

@ tom, that post was from about 6 weeks ago on a linear progression that's why it's at 130, i started very low because the movement was new and i didn't want to stall out immediately and wanted time to learn the proper form and really cement it. last week i did a 160 3 X5 fairly easily and have maxed at 190 lbs so it's gone up since then, even the 160 PC doesn't feel heavy. i mean i started the program doing a 5 X 3 of 160 bench which was real light too, but really no matter the weight with power cleans it just kills my body...

@ chris - my max bench is probably about 245 right now and max power clean 190 so they are about 50 lbs off. tomorrow my work set for bench is 210 lbs 5 x 3, the power clean would be 165 lbs 3 X 5 next week if i rotated them back in.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Michael, I was having a lot of issues with my right shoulder blade with cleans for a while.

What helped:
Lots of tricep and forearm stretches
Making sure that I completely released the bar in the rack position instead of holding it in a death grip
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #37
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Yes, but I can also make up a chart saying whatever I want it to say and then post it on the internet.

Again, "advanced" to which population of people? Average person on the street? Average CrossFitter? CrossFitter who can do Rx'd WODs? D-1 football player? Weightlifter?
You do have a point, although I do take Crossfit Seattle, as they seem to be a reputable affiliate, as something of a credible source. Anyway, getting through the most of the workouts Rx with decent time just isn't easy. It's something that takes time and dedication for most people to work up to. Besides, aren't the weights for a "heavy" metcon are picked so that most of even the stronger heavier Crossfitters are challenged? That makes it even more of a challenge for lighter Crossfitters. Say 3 rounds of 15 155-pound power cleans (I don't see them go much heavier than that) in a met-con is hard enough for a 200-lb Crossfitter to bang out, nevermind a 160-lb guy, so the 160-lb guy probably would end up scaling.

What I am saying is that there probably aren't that many people in Crossfit doing BW cleans in their metcons after all, as they would have to scale.

Anyway, I would say that the BW standard for the power clean is "advanced" to the average person who works out, but NOT for a typical D-1 football player or serious weightlifter. As Michael (the OP) has such an extensive athletic background, I can see why he would view a BW power clean as being "light".

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 05-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #38
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Michael,

It's good that you have tried to do power cleans for 9 weeks. It might take you a year or more to start to get it. Don't give up before you even start.

I myself have been cleaning for about four years and am still learning how to do it well.

You start with light weights on all exercises. The value lies in persevering and adding weight over time.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #39
Perry Dean Freedman

Profile:

I just started doing power cleans a month or so ago. I suck, but not as much as I did a month ago. As with all things, I figure if I keep working at it, soon, I'll suck less. One thing is certain, power cleans are a combination of a lot of movements. They're making me stronger in shrugs, dead lifts, snatches, and everything else that uses hip strength and mobility. Keep doing them!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Let me refer people to pages 168-204 of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (2nd Ed.) if you need some reasons to power clean.

Yes, there are people who don't need to power clean. But, a lot of people simply don't power clean because they suck at power cleans. Those people should fix that problem.
You sound more and more like Rip every day.