CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Latham Fell

Profile:
Starting Strength success

Just wanted to share!

Tonight I hit a 315 lb back squat (high bar), a 175 lb press, and a 425 lb deadlift. I also did a 400x5 deadlift.

This is a goal I've been working toward for a long time! I got there in about three months of Starting Strength, and gained 20 lbs along the way with GOMAD (175 to 200 lbs with a slight increase in body fat).

I didn't do anything else, just Starting Strength and mobility.

Now I'll go back to my regularly scheduled metcons.

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Jon Thorland

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength success

Nice work.

What were your numbers when you started? And were those 1RM or work sets?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Sal Ocampo

Profile:

Congrats! I did SS from Dec '10 - Feb '11 and got the same numbers as you did (3x5's, 1x5). Though I haven't attempted a 1RM. I've rev'd up my metcon training as well and will probably get back on SS or the Texas Method once the open sectionals are over.

Did SS to the T. I think if people would just follow the program the way Rip designed it they get their intended goals (and probably less threads on how to add metcon to SS).

Congrats again!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i just started 70's big (mainly because i have the pdf readily available), but my major issue is getting to the needed 5000 calories a day. i eat until i want to puke and i'm not even close.

i'm also 33 so my metabolism has slowed considerably and i'm afraid GOMAD would lead me into a nightmare of fatness i haven't seen in years.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Devin Reed

Profile:

"i just started 70's big (mainly because i have the pdf readily available)..."

I've been to the 70's big website and for the life of me can't find a "program" listed other than the workout logs. Where is this .pdf you speak of?

(Sorry for the threadjacking...)
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...=62078&page=46 (wfs)

eric montgomery links it in here or you can just im him. i think it's 70's big program.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i just started 70's big (mainly because i have the pdf readily available), but my major issue is getting to the needed 5000 calories a day. i eat until i want to puke and i'm not even close.

i'm also 33 so my metabolism has slowed considerably and i'm afraid GOMAD would lead me into a nightmare of fatness i haven't seen in years.
I'm 32 and am on week 6 of SS+GOMAD. It's not as bad as I thought it would have been; the little fat I've put on is totally worth it, and I've been chubby before so I can understand your fear.

Rip has a few "clarification" articles out there regarding it on the SS website.

I'm going to do GOMAD for 12 weeks, and come off it for a bit.

Getting 5kcal/day without it would be pretty arduous for me. The milk makes it much easier.

Last edited by Travis Rask : 03-28-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post

Breathe.

It will be okay.

Stop with the "I'm also 33" crap.

I'm 35. I've added over 60 lbs to my squat while putting on about 20 lbs of bodyweight. If you look at my avatar, you can still see my abs trying to peek through despite my hard work at getting rid of them.

I'm also moving up a weight class after my meet on Friday. The universe is pleased with this idea.

Oh, and congrats, Latham!

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 03-28-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Breathe.

It will be okay.

Stop with the "I'm also 33" crap.

I'm 35. I've added over 60 lbs to my squat while putting on about 20 lbs of bodyweight. If you look at my avatar, you can still see my abs trying to peek through despite my hard work at getting rid of them.

I'm also moving up a weight class after my meet on Friday. The universe is pleased with this idea.

Oh, and congrats, Latham!
Impressive! Did you/are you doing GOMAD as well?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
Impressive! Did you/are you doing GOMAD as well?
I didn't GOMAD because I am drastically lactose intolerant, despite what Rip says, haha. I also wasn't doing the program. I was doing a program that Rip and I talked about that was LP + Oly. In the end, I only ran LP on my squats and bench. I just couldn't recover from deads for Oly. And, I was never pressing because I was already push pressing for Oly. I initially started with 5x5s last summer and put on 10 lbs of bodyweight. Then, I ran the LP/Oly program for 2 months in November and December and put on another 10 lbs.

I'm contemplating doing 6 weeks of Dan John's MMS program in order to move up to the 75kg weight class. I'm not sure it's the best option, but it is one I am kicking around. I need to get through masters nationals on Friday as a 69 first.