CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Workouts with unknown parameters?

Not sure where the best place to put this would be, but I just wanted to pose a discussion.

Do you think there is a place, maybe especially in the games, for workouts with unknown parameters? For example, a run for distance where you don't know the time constraint, or a run for time where you don't know the distance? Or maybe a AMRAP workout where you don't know the time constraint? I feel like something like this could be very "crossfit" since there's an unknown aspect to the workout and any pacing or gaming that you do is really taking a risk.

Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Workouts with unknown parameters?

You'd have to do it all in one heat. Otherwise every heat after the first would know what was coming.

Not very spectator friendly.

Certainly Crossfit in theory, but in practice I don't see what it shows about fitness that more standard workouts don't.

Katherine
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You'd have to do it all in one heat. Otherwise every heat after the first would know what was coming.

They were able to keep the last 3 wods at the games from the competitors, why couldn't they do it again? In fact, I think it would be better split up. That way they wouldn't just be trying to beat the fastest person in the heat, they would have to go as hard as possible not knowing if it would be good enough.

Not very spectator friendly.

Why not?

Certainly Crossfit in theory, but in practice I don't see what it shows about fitness that more standard workouts don't.

You may have a point, but it does better replicate a "real life" situation IMO.

Katherine
I think it's a very interesting idea.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

"Keeping the last three WODs from the competitors" isn't what the OP was proposing, as I understood the post. He seemed to be proposing events in which some parameters *remain* unknown while the event is going on. Such as an AMRAP event in which the end time isn't known.

Which would have to be conducted in one heat because otherwise the other heats would know, at a minimum, the approximate length of the workout: precisely what you're trying to conceal.

Which would be spectator unfriendly because if the competitors don't know, the spectators can't know either. How do you watch a race if you don't know where the finish line is?

Katherine
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

it'd be tough at the games, but probably doable as an informal event at an affilliate.

With a little planning you could do a pretty fun watered-down "death-race" type event where people run a path of unknown length and have tasks (bodyweight stuff, climbing, obstacle course, sandbag fun, car pull, whatever) posted every 1/4 - 1/2 mile.

Maybe that wouldn't be the same as wondering "is this going to be a 5-minute workout or a 45 minute workout???" but it'd be a good time and people would love it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Chris Hede

Profile:

Blind chipper - Participant learns about each part of the chipper after completing the previous portion.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

Thats sort of how the last 3 events at the games were run.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

You could do it with ruck humps in NC and call it Selection
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
For example, a run for distance where you don't know the time constraint, or a run for time where you don't know the distance?
Really stupid idea. It's like the lottery, all it proves is luck. What if the event turned out to be 200m? Then the guy who decided to start out sprinting all-out would win, and the guy who was on pace for a 10k PR would be in last place.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
You could do it with ruck humps in NC and call it Selection
That's actually where i originally heard the idea and thought it sounded interesting.

And Shane what's wrong with that? I guess it's luck, but I like the idea that the only way to really know you're going to win something like that is to run as hard as you can for as long as you can.

I'm kind of convinced now that it might not be such a great idea, but it seemed interesting. Thanks for the replies.