CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Aaron Owens

Profile:
Minimum Equipment to start training clients

Hey!! What is the bare minimum equipment that someone would want to have before trying to recruit clients to train? Ive been training myself with limited equipment like pull up bar, rings, sand bags, sledge hammer, tires, barbell and limited weights and body weight exercises and wonder if that is enough to get someone else started until I get some cash built up to get more.....
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Krista Fudge

Profile:
Re: Minimum Equipment to start training clients

You can get a good amount of dumbbells from craigslist for a few hundred dollars. Find a park with pullup bars to use. Make yourself some rings (many resources for this on the message boards). Buy some $4 jump ropes from Academy (or local sports store). For around $300 you can purchase plenty of equipment to start.
Once you start making an income you can then purchase some of the more expensive stuff like med balls, bumper plates, etc.

Good luck!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

You already have more than enough if just getting started is your concern. Be imaginative with your workouts. Thousands of people pay for bootcamps all over the world, with limited or no equipment at all. Get on it!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Sounds like you got enough equipment to me. I do alot of barbell stuff so I would like to see more weights but i know thats not needed. That said you can get someone in awesome shape just having them use their own bodies.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Jesse Gray

Profile:

When I started with my first client, I would meet him in a park near my house and bring a set of 35# dumbbells with me. The park had one of those old fitness station tracks which included a pull up bar and picnick tables with benches we used for box jumps. Between the pull up bar, DBs and something to jump on + lots of room to run, you can get a lot accomplished. To do it right you do need to eventually invest in a fair amount of equipment. Much of my early training income was invested right back into equipment.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Aaron Owens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Much of my early training income was invested right back into equipment.
That is my plan, I don't expect or even care to make money at this point, just to earn enough to buy more equipment. At this moment, I have an agreement with an owner of a gymnastics/cheer leading training box to let me train there, and even use some of her equipment. I just didn't want to look to amateurish if I didn't have "all" or at least the majority of equipment people might expect you to have if you are training "CrossFit". It sounds like I should get started.....I'm going for my level 1 cert in a few weeks, thats when I wanted to get going.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
William A Cantrell

Profile:

I dont think you'll look "amateurish" because of lack of equipment. Lack of coaching skill will shine through quickly. That said dont start out teaching complicated movements untill you think the client is ready to learn the move and more importantly you are ready to teach it. A dowel and a barbell with a bit of weight and a pullup bar is all you need. To get a not only effective work out but also to recruit some muscle also. Id say start your program and focus on one new thing each week or so and get them to have that before moving on. Also teaching them to nail the air squat and dowel dead lift (really tight core, hip flexability and strength to go full depth on the squat, and nice tight dead posture and bar path) I think you'll be fine just coach what you know.