CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Aaron Evans

Profile:
Insurance

I'm looking to get insurance for our new affiliate. Any suggestions??
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
William A Cantrell

Profile:
Re: Insurance

Try calling the insurance company...or asking an insurance agency...or try google before you posted this? Maybe the search function of this site?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

If you're going to join the RRG you may want to consider Nexo as is the recommendation on the RRG site
Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Aaron Evans

Profile:

William - Not really looking to be degraded for asking a question, but thanks. I apologize for not following the appropriate prerequisites for posting to this discussion board.
Aushion - I think I'm going to pass on the RRG for now---getting affiliated is becoming expensive. We've been doing CF (for free) in our garage for quite some time and now we are starting to outgrow it---which has pushed us into affiliating. That being said---we have no $$$ coming in, and lots of $$$ going out. But, once we start seeing some profit---I will join.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Anthony Bianucci

Profile:

We have nexo i believe you need to talk to erick collins i think thats his last name. he handles all CrossFit affiliates.

good luck
Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Josh Felber

Profile:

we used vaughn excellent price and covers kids and any other issues 801-688-4883
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A Cantrell View Post
Try calling the insurance company...or asking an insurance agency...or try google before you posted this? Maybe the search function of this site?
Or he can post here in hopes of getting recommendations of specific companies that specialize in the insurance needs of gyms as opposed to rental real estate, used car lots or fast food joints. Also, maybe, just maybe, he knows some people here from whom he would trust a recommendation more than from some random Google link.

For the OP, for right now, have you contacted your homeowners' insurance company to determine whether you need a special rider for having friends over to work out regularly? Even if it is non-commercial, it would really suck if someone injured themselves without health insurance and decided to take away your house and equipment to pay the doctor.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Mark - I NEVER thought of that--thanks!!! I need to make that call ASAP...I have, however, come up with a waiver (as well as a Rhabdo form) for everyone to sign before doing any WOD's in my garage.
FYI---If anyone else is in the same boat (as we are)---this morning we found insurance at KandKinsurance.com ($455/yr). It meets all the criteria set by CFHQ and there are 3 different payment plans: Pay in full; 30% down/PIF in 30 days; or 4 months 25% each.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

That sounds REALLY cheap. Be careful. Most insurances don't know what you do even when you try to explain it. You'll have a rude awakening when you get sued(and you will if you are in business long enough). Falls from rings, ropes, etc, are things not traditionally in a "gym" or "personal training" which is the umbrella most insurance companies will put you in when they don't know what the hell you are doing at your facility.

Remember, people in this country sue cigarette companies for lung cancers, McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on themeselves. Even if you're not at fault, it'll still cost you money to fight if you don't have the right coverage.

I'd recommend calling Vaughn Vernon (801-688-4883), he's a broker, CrossFitter(better to explain to Ins. Co. what the hell we do), and can find you a few quotes to choose from.

Where the hell is Kernersville anyways? If close to Charlotte, come take a visit.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Brian - Thanks, we'll give him a buzz this afternoon.
Kernersville is right in the middle of Winston Salem and Greensboro (a little suburb of both). We will actually be in Charlotte on Saturday (for the Metro Dash)---but we have to turn right around and leave, some of our teammates have an afternoon wedding to go to. Next time I swing through town (and have some time)---I'll give you a shout!