CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #31
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Am I riding a high horse for simply promoting a good attitude or are you just at me for calling it as I see it?
No you're on a high horse for looking down your nose at me because of my attitude as if you're somehow morally superior and thus feel sorry for me because I'm not.

Quote:
You don't even realize but you are promoting the very thing you are condeming. You're tired of all the love for Lebron & Nate and don't wanna hear it? What about your senseless hate for Nate and Lebron? Same things, different sides of the cycle, which perpetuate one another...
Well the moment I get my own television network and do nothing but talk about how much I dislike Lebron then I'll be on the same level as the constant love that's beat into my head every time I turn on an NBA show.

Quote:
I am no better than any other man. I am just of the philosophy that if you don't have anything good to say, then ...
I'm of the philosophy that if you dislike something then speak up.

Quote:
I am out of this..... stay positive brother and focus on yourself, life is too short... and remember, if you are gonna care about someone wish them good thoughts, even if they are highly successfulll...

Book Tour coming up in 2011...
I prefer to balance my positive and negative emotions. It keeps stress down when I let the negative ones out.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
That's right. I'm envious of Lebron James. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't stand his attitude, his poor sportsmanship and the fact that every time I try to watch something NBA related I'm assaulted with "Lebron James! Greatest player ever! You must love him!" Yeah like that stuff doesn't get old and create fatigue for someone on one person.
Indulge me for a moment on this one, Jason, because I do not think this is your fault.
This Lebron madness is just part of the overall NBA marketing machine.
It always has to have a "greatest player ever" (or a couple of them vying for that title) and the player MUST be a current player, or else the star (the NBA) loses its shine -- and by losing its shine, I mean loses Money. If people can't sit and watch a game (at home or in the arena) and point to a guy and say, "he's the greatest player ever" then people won't watch. If the game is never going to get better than it was yesterday, with better players and better performances, then it is a failure. No viewing public means no $$$.

I apologize if that sounds totally cynical - but I guess I'm jaded.

In the 60s the player was without question Bill Russell, and to a lesser extent, Wilt Chamberlain.
In the 70s it was Kareem, and towards the end of the decade, Dr. J.
In the 80s there were Magic and Larry Bird.
In the 90s, Michael Jordan.
In the 00s, Shaq and Kobe, and the dawn of Lebron.
In the 10s, it will be Lebron with some up-and-comers TBD later.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 02-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yes the NBA does in fact do that. But ESPN has personified it to an absurd point. They just gush over the guy every time I try to watch anything NBA related. The fact that their "try to be hip and funny but are just really really pathetic and smarmy" anchors try to make jokes about him and talk down to other players when comparing them is just absurd. And the fact that they aren't the Cavs anymore they're "Lebron." I mean you hear them promote a game and it's "It's the Thunder vs. Lebron tonight!"
Plus like I said, I hate the guys attitude. The dancing while his team is blowing people out, clipping his nails on the sideline and acting completely disinterested in what is going on, taking the french fry from the kid in OKC and acting like what's going on in the game doesn't matter, refusing to shake hands and storming off the court after his team loses, acting aghast that some kid in the crowd dared to touch him during workouts, etc. He's not a nice guy and a pretty crappy role model and icon overall. Thus far he hasn't pulled any Charles Barkley "I'm not a role model" stuff either. He wants to be one and he's a very poor one.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #34
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I can't stand LBJ and I'm from Ohio and played bball all my life.

Didn't say "hate"
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #35
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

As for Nate *ahem* YES! Even though I dislike Chael more. He's got a huge mouth on him and has no respect for the man that will most likely cave his face in (Silva). Then again Nate doesn't seem to have much respect for the champ either. Bad idea.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
Celio Silva

Profile:

Nate looked off and had a bad night. Hat off to Chael for pulling the upset, specially considering the damage he took, which included a flash knockout due to a knee, a gash on his forehead due to an elbow, and agonizing seconds while surviving a real tight guilotine. Nate came real close to finishing the fight but looked off and was dominated.

I still had Randy, Thiago, and Maia ...Nate screwed up my best parlay though
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #37
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
isn't that what everyone thought when Matt fought Royce?
Apologies for missing this Sean.

I think a lot of people probably did think that but most people who know about the sport thought differently.

Plus, the Gracie family is huge but the two most significant sides of the family are Carlos' and Helio's lineage, carlos being the GGrandfather of Renzo, Ralph and Ryan to name a few and Helio being the Father of Royce, Royler and Rorian to name a few. Now Carlos' side have a really fiery streak, just look at Carlos, Robson and then Renzo and consider their mentality, they're all game as a badger (will fight anyone and are good at it) On the other hand Royce etc have picked fights to suit their strengths and have also been involved in many a controversy. Renzo is a man who will lay it all on the line, I believe it is engrained deep into him and I believe he will win.

You cant compare Royce to Renzo. Not in the slightest.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #38
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
I can't believe BJ is going back in that quick. So psyched for Renzo to beat the **** out of Hughes. About damn time a Gracie comes back to the UFC.
Like Rolles Jr? Jeez, I was embarrassed for him. White calls Herschel Walker a gimmick, yet there's no way Rolles Jr is in the UFC without the 'gimmick' of his last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Which side of the family does Rolles Jr come from? Wasn't Renzo in his corner. (I can't remember.)

Sorry for taking the thread slightly off topic.

Last edited by John Hansen : 02-10-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
Mark Sands

Profile:

Quote:
We'll soon be able to compare the beating Hughes gave the two of them...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #40
Dane Grace

Profile:

Rolles is the son of Rolls, who is under the Carlson lineage. The direct Robson lineage is most known as MMA fighters (Ryan, Renzo, and Ralph).