CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
Hours of operation

I'm opening an affiliate shortly, and I have 2 trainers, plus myself, however I'm a chiropractor and will probably only be teaching a 3-5 classes/week. The affiliate and doctors office are in the same location.
I know it would be an easier question to answer if I were the main trainer, and putting all my work hours towards the affiliate, but I cannot.
So to start, any suggestions on hours to be open? I know eventually the students will dictate the times that we will be open, but what about from day 1?
I was toying with 8-11am, then 4-7pm; that sounds like alot of class time at the beginning. I plan to pay trainers, $20-25/hr when teaching, and perhaps $10 at the start when there is no one there, but to at least have a body there if someone does come by to check out the box.
When we first open, I want to avoid no one being there when a potential client comes knocking.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: Hours of operation

Brian - I would start at the minimum - have a morning classs (6 / 7 / 8 Am) and an evening class - maybe (if you know you have a few clients at lunch) a noon class - I do not know your rental / ownership of property so I can't comment directly on that - but start with limited class times and as demand for new times increases, so does the time for classes - don't spread yourself (and trainers) too thin
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Mark Griffith

Profile:
Re: Hours of operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I'm opening an affiliate shortly, and I have 2 trainers, plus myself, however I'm a chiropractor and will probably only be teaching a 3-5 classes/week. The affiliate and doctors office are in the same location.
I know it would be an easier question to answer if I were the main trainer, and putting all my work hours towards the affiliate, but I cannot.
So to start, any suggestions on hours to be open? I know eventually the students will dictate the times that we will be open, but what about from day 1?
I was toying with 8-11am, then 4-7pm; that sounds like alot of class time at the beginning. I plan to pay trainers, $20-25/hr when teaching, and perhaps $10 at the start when there is no one there, but to at least have a body there if someone does come by to check out the box.
When we first open, I want to avoid no one being there when a potential client comes knocking.
Any suggestions?
Brian, contact Eric at CrossFit Fuel. He is a DC and runs 2 CFs. I am sure he can give you some great advise.